Daily Current Affairs – June 12, 2019
June 12 – World Day Against Child Labour
- The International Labour Organization (ILO) launched the World Day Against Child Labour in 2002 to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it. Each year on 12 June, the World Day brings together governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society, as well as millions of people from around the world to highlight the plight of child labourers and what can be done to help them.
- 2019 theme: Children shouldn’t work in fields, but on dreams!
Cyclone VAYU intensifies into very severe cyclonic storm
- Cyclone VAYU over East-Central Arabian sea has intensified into a Very Severe Cyclonic Storm. It currently lays centred about 420 kilometres west-northwest of Goa, 320 kilometres south-southwest of Mumbai and 420 kilometres south of Veraval in Gujarat.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has mobilized 35 teams in Gujarat and four in Diu in coordination with local administration. Rescue teams of State Disaster Response Force, Army, Coast Guard and BSF are also on stand by.
Udupi’s Amasebailu becomes Karnataka’s first solar-powered Gram Panchayat
- Amasebailu in Kundapura Taluk of Udupi district has become Karnataka’s first solar-powered Gram Panchayat. Over 1800 houses were provided solar lamps at a total cost of 2.13 crore rupees. The project was funded by Centre and State Government in the ratio of 30:20 and the rest was paid by the Panchayat and charitable organizations.
Assam to study link of pesticides with emerging diseases
- Concerned over increasing cases of affliction of new diseases in Assam, the State Government is planning to write to the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) for a study on impact of use of pesticides and fertilizers in food items in the health indices.
- The Minister also announced the launch of Pradhan Mantri National Dialysis Programme in the state from 14th of this month, in Private-Public Partnership mode with Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd, Chennai. The free dialysis facility will be available in 18 locations in Assam.
Green Mizoram Day celebrated throughout the state
- In Mizoram, Green Mizoram Day was celebrated throughout the state with distribution and planting trees and taking pledge to work for green environment and maintaining ecological balance. The state has been celebrating the day for the last 20 years.
Healthcare to tribal heartland in Telangana
- The campaign mode health screening of almost the entire population of Kolam, Thotti and Manne Adivasis, classified as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs), in the agency areas governed by Utnoor Integrated Tribal Development Agency is a big step forward in improving healthcare for tribals in undivided Adilabad district.
- A team of super speciality doctors from Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad, are involved in the programme which includes treatment of patients, made possible under the Union government’s Conservation cum Development Plan for the PVTGs.
Science & Technology
Scientists create a global map of where groundwater meets oceans
- Scientists have created high-resolution maps of points around the globe where groundwater meets the oceans and the first such analysis of its kind that may help protect both drinking water and the seas.
- In a study published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, researchers from The Ohio State University in the U.S. showed that nearly one-half of fresh submarine groundwater discharge flows into the ocean near the tropics. The findings may help coastal communities better protect and manage their drinking water.
Infosys opens design studio in London
- Infosys, a next-generation digital services and consulting major, has opened its experience design and innovation studio at Shoreditch in London. The studio will provide a state-of-the-art space for Infosys and its clients to ideate, collaborate and innovate together by combining design and the latest technology offerings, including artificial intelligence, virtual reality and 5G, the company said.
RBI constitutes committee to review ATM pricing
- The Reserve Bank of India has constituted a six-member committee to review the entire gamut of ATM charges and fees. The RBI said, Chief Executive of Indian Banks’ Association VG Kannan will chair the committee consisting of senior officers from National Payments Corporation of India, SBI, HDFC Bank, Confederation of ATM Industry and Tata Communications Payment Solutions Limited.
RBI waives off charges for transactions using NEFT, RTGS
- With an aim to encourage digital transfer of funds, the Reserve Bank has waived off all charges for transactions using National Electronic Funds Transfer – NEFT and Real Time Gross Settlement – RTGS systems. In a press release issued in Mumbai, RBI has advised banks to pass on the benefits to their customers with effect from 1st July, 2019.
App & Web Portal
Goa government to launch digital agriculture platform ‘Agricloud
- The Goa government will soon launch ‘Agricloud’, a digital platform for agriculture management and tracking of farm subsidies. ‘Agricloud’ is a three-way interface that will allow the agriculture ministry to register farmers and track subsidies and inputs to them, while helping cultivators to get information on official advisories, weather, market prices among other things. ‘Agricloud’ will create an e-commerce platform allowing farmers to sell directly to customers,”.
Asian junior squash championship
- The Asian junior squash championship is to be staged in Macau from June 26 to 30. The under-19 players will also compete in the World junior squash championship to be held in Malaysia in August. The selection trials were held at the Shiv Nadar University in May, and the players are training in the preparatory camp under British coach Chris Ryder at the same facility.
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here