Daily Current Affairs – June 01, 2019
June 01 – Global Day of Parents
- The Global Day of Parents is observed on the 1st of June every year. The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 2012 and honours parents throughout the world. The day provides children with an opportunity to appreciate parents for their livelong sacrifice and endless love.
- 2019 Theme – “Honor Your Parents”
Assam government hikes parental income limit under fee waiver scheme
- Assam government has waived admission fees for students taking admission up to Post Graduate level whose parental income is less than 2 lakh rupees per year. All provincialized government colleges and 5 universities are incorporated under the scheme.
Bihar cabinet sanctions Rs 384 cr for old age pension scheme
- In Bihar, the cabinet has sanctioned 384 crore rupees for payment of pension under the Chief Minister Old Age Pension Scheme for the financial year 2019-20. Those who are in the age group of 60-79 will get 400 rupees per month while those above 80 will get 500 rupees per month as pension under the scheme.
Two women from MP successfully climb Mount Everest
- Two women of Madhya Pradesh have successfully climbed Mount Everest recently. Bhawna Dehariya from Chhindwara district and Megha Parmar from Sehore district became the first two women mountaineers from Madhya Pradesh to summit Mount Everest. They achieved the feat on May 22.
India, Australia, Japan, US call for an open Indo-Pacific region
- Senior officials of India, US, Japan and Australia met in Bangkok to hold consultations on their collective efforts for a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region and reaffirmed their shared commitment to preserving and promoting the rules-based order in the region.
- China claims almost all of the South China Sea whereas Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have also counter claims over it.
US withdraws special tax exemption to Pakistani diplomats
- The United States has withdrawn its special tax exemption to Pakistani diplomats. This move comes over a year after the Trump administration imposed travel restrictions on them.
- The Diplomatic Tax Exemption programme is usually granted to foreign diplomats and consulars. It provides sales and use, food, utility and other tax exemptions to eligible foreign officials on assignment in the US.
- Tax exemption privileges are generally based on two international treaties: The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.
Tanzania latest African nation to ban plastic bags
- A plastic bag ban comes into force in Tanzania as Africa leads efforts to stem the tide of plastic pollution.
- Tanzania is banning the importation, production, sale and use of plastic bags. It becomes the 34th African country to implement such restrictions, according to the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP).
- Globally, 127 countries have some sort of plastic bag legislation. 91 of these include a ban or restriction on manufacturing, importation and retail distribution, according to the UNEP.
Business & Economic Affairs
GDP growth slumps to 5.8%
- India’s GDP grew at 5.8% in the January-March 2019 quarter, dragging down the full year growth to a five-year low of 6.8%. The unemployment rate in the country rose to a 45-year high of 6.1% in 2017-18, as per official data.
RBI to observe financial literacy week from June 5-9
- The Reserve Bank of India will observe Financial Literacy Week across the country from 3rd to 7th of this month. The theme this year is – ‘Farmers and how they benefit by being a part of the formal banking system’.
Kasturirangan committee submits new draft education policy to HRD Ministry
- Former ISRO chief Dr. Kasturirangan led Committee submitted the draft National Educational Policy (NEP) to HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank in New Delhi. The policy draft recommends incorporation of Indian knowledge systems in the curriculum, constituting a National Education Commission and curbing arbitrary fees hikes by private schools. The existing NEP was framed in 1986 and revised in 1992.
- Sonia Gandhi – Elected as leader of Congress Parliamentary Party
ICC announces content partnerships with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter for World Cup
- ICC has entered into content partnerships with global social media platforms Facebook, YouTube and Twitter to cater to the huge interest from fans in this event. Fans can enjoy recaps, reports, live scores, behind-the-scenes and other content across the ICC’s digital channels.
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here