Daily Current Affairs – July 12, 2019
RPF launched “Operation Thirst”
- To curb the menace of unauthorized PDW (PACKAGED DRINKING WATER) in Railway premises, an all India drive named “Operation Thirst” was launched on 08th & 09th July 2019 on the direction of DG/RPF, Railway Board, New Delhi where all the Zonal Principal Chief Security Commissioners (PCSC) were asked to crackdown these unauthorised activities. Almost all major stations over Indian Railway were covered during this operation.
Jammu and Kashmir
3502 projects sanctioned under PMGSY-Phases I to XII in J&K
- Under the centrally sponsored scheme of Prime Minister’s Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) 3502 projects with a total length of 19700 Kms to connect 2214 habitations has been sanctioned under PMGSY-Phases I to XII in Jammu and Kashmir State.
Gaganyaan National Advisory Council
- The Gaganyaan project is on track to be realized by the 75th Independence day (2022) or earlier. The design and configuration of major subsystems are finalised. The qualification tests pertaining to human rating of flight systems has commenced and Cryogenic Engine tests are in progress. The crew training plan is finalised and the crew selection process has commenced. A Gaganyaan National Advisory Council has been created with members from different institutions and industries
- The Government of India has approved a project to build the India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO) at Pottipuram in the Theni District of Tamil Nadu. Briefly, the project aims to set up a 51000 ton Iron Calorimeter (ICAL) detector to observe naturally occurring atmospheric neutrinos in a cavern at the end of an approximately 2 km long tunnel in a mountain. This will help to reduce the noise from cosmic rays that is ever present over-ground and which would outnumber the rare neutrino interactions even in a detector as large as ICAL.
- The INO project does not disturb the ecosystem around the site and does not release any radiation, as it does not have any radioactive substance. It measures cosmic rays. There is no other neutrino detector anywhere in India at present. ICAL at INO would be the first of its type.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
US-India bilateral trade could reach USD 238 billion by 2025
- US India Strategic and Partnership Forum has said, the bilateral trade between the two countries could reach 238 billion Dollars by 2025 from the current 143 billion Dollars given the present dynamics of the commercial engagement. In a report released on the occasion of its second annual leadership summit, the US-based group USISPF said, this growth will occur if trade grows by 7.5 per cent each year, as has been the trend for the last seven years.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
India-US trade talks in New Delhi
- India and US will hold trade talks in New Delhi to discuss bilateral and economic issues. This would be the first meeting on trade issues after the meeting of Prime Minister Narendra Modi with US President Donald Trump in Japan on the sidelines of the G20 summit.
India, EU hold high-level talks on migration, mobility
- The 5th India-EU High-Level Dialogue on Migration and Mobility was held in New Delhi. External Affairs Ministry said in a release said the discussion was held in a highly friendly and constructive spirit. It encompassed a wide range of issues of mutual interest in the context of migration and mobility along the India-EU corridor.
MoU & CABINET APPROVAL
Prasar Bharati signs MoU with IIT Kanpur for research collaboration
- Prasar Bharati and Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur signed a Memorandum of Understanding for research collaboration in newly emerging technologies and broadcasting-related areas in New Delhi. Direct to mobile broadcasting, Convergence of 5G, Artificial Intelligence Incubation Centre by Prasar Bharati and student internship for students of IIT, Kanpur at Prasar Bharati are among the main areas in the research collaboration.
- Under the Central Sector Scheme Government of India implementing “Silk Samagra”through Central Silk Board with a total outlay of Rs. 2161.68 crore for three years (2017-2020) for development of sericulture in the country. It focuses on improving quality and productivity of domestic silk thereby reducing the country’s dependence on imported silk.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
The 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index
- The 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) from the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) was released. India lifted 271 million people out of poverty between 2006 and 2016, recording the fastest reductions in the multidimensional poverty index values during the period with strong improvements in areas such as “assets, cooking fuel, sanitation and nutrition,” a report by the United Nations said.
Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships in Samoa
- National champion Achinta Sheuli lifted a total of 305kg to win the men’s 73kg crown in the Commonwealth weightlifting championships. Sheuli also bagged the junior title. Other Indian lifters continued impressive show by winning four golds, two silvers and a bronze.
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here