Chandranna Pelli kanuka scheme launch
- The State Cabinet decided to launch the new scheme Chandranna Pelli kanuka. The gift for the BCs, the SCs and the STs and the Dulhan scheme would be brought under one umbrella with a centralised IT-enabled citizen centric interface for marriage-related incentive schemes of various departments.
- The scheme aims at providing one-time assistance of ₹40,000 to the Scheduled Caste brides from the Below the Poverty Line at the time of marriage benefiting 25,000 families this year.
Haryana won one-third of India’s CWG medals
- Haryana is known as India’s medal factory as its sportspersons won 22 of the 66 medals that India won at the CWG.Haryana sportspersons bagged 10 gold, 6 silver and 6 bronze medals in Gold Coast.
Major Ports at Paradip, Ennore and Tuticorin to Pioneer recycling & Desalination of sea water
- Paradip Port, Kamarajar Port & VO Chidambarnar Portunder the Ministry of Shipping are all set to pioneer water recycling and desalination of sea water in the port premises.The idea was mooted for use of new technology based containerized RO (Reverse Osmosis) based plants which can reduce the cost of producing desalinated water and would be cheaper than current water procurement cost at certain ports.
Commerce and Industry Minister, launches digital platform for MSME Exporters
- The Minister of Commerce & Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu launched the FIEO GlobalLinker- a digital platform for MSME exporters to digitise their businesses and join a global community of growing businesses in New Delhi.
DARPAN-PLI App launched
- The DARPAN-PLI App, launched by Hon’ble Minister of State (I/C) for Communications and Minister of State for Railways,will help in collection of premium for PLI(Postal life Insurance) and RPLI(Rural Postal Life Insurance) policies at Branch Post Offices anywhere in India, with online updation of the policies.
India-US Strategy Energy Partnership Joint Statement
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan and U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry co-chaired the inaugural meeting of the U.S.-India Strategic Energy Partnership.
- Under the Partnership, the United States and India will pursue four primary pillars of cooperation: (1) Oil and Gas; (2) Power and Energy Efficiency; (3) Renewable Energy and Sustainable Growth; and (4) Coal. Both parties may consider establishing additional pillars of cooperation based on mutual agreement.
900 years of drought ended Indus civilization
- An IIT Kharagpur study claims that a drought-like phase that lasted for over 900 years ended the Indus Valley Civilisation. Researchers from the Department of Geology and Geophysics reported a new finding on the disappearance of the civilisation, as per a statement from the institute. A team led by Professor Anil K Gupta observed a drought-like phase for a period of 900 years, which led to water scarcity and mass migration to other regions.
New Director General of National Cadet Corps(NCC)
- Lieutenant General PP Malhotra assumed charge as Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC), the largest uniformed youth organization in the world.
India wins election to the Committee on Non-Governmental Organisations
- India has won an election to a crucial non-governmental organisation committee in the United Nations after garnering the highest number of votes besides getting elected by acclamation to other subsidiary bodies in five separate polls.
Taiwan to open trade office in India
- Taiwan will next month open a trade office in New Delhi, part of its efforts to expand business ties with Asia’s third largest economy amid China’s insistence on One China policy. Taiwan and Indian business cooperation had become particularly active in the past 2-3 years.
Giant asteroid 2018 GE3 makes surprise fly
- A giant asteroid gave Earth a surprise close shave this week, flying by at a distance of 1,92,000 kilometres, just a day after astronomers discovered the object.
- The asteroid measure 3.6 times the size of the one that levelled 2,000 square kilometres of Siberian forest when it exploded over Tunguska in 1908.
Delay in launching of NASA’s planet-hunting satellite
- An 11th- hour technical glitch prompted SpaceX to postpone its planned launch of a new NASA space telescope designed to detect worlds beyond our solar system. TESS will help catalog at least 100 more rocky exoplanets for further study.
China to allow full foreign ownership in auto industry
- China has announced plans to allow full foreign ownership of automakers in five years, ending restrictions that have strained relations with Washington and other trading partners.
- The Cabinet’s planning commission said that it will lift limits on foreign ownership of electric vehicle producers this year, followed by similar action for makers of commercial vehicles in 2020 and passenger vehicles in 2022.
Bharat-22 ETF offer may worth Rs 10,000 crore
- The Finance Ministry may come out with a ₹10,000-crore follow-on fund offer of the Bharat-22 exchange traded fund (ETF) as it looks to dilute stake in Coal India to meet the minimum public holding norm.The government, in November, introduced Bharat-22 ETF comprising shares of 22 firms, including PSUs, public sector banks, ITC, Axis Bank and L&T.
Daniel Ricciardo wins Chinese Grand Prix
- Daniel Ricciardo made a surprise Chinese Grand Prix victory after a safety car strategy gamble by his Red Bull team paid off handsomely. Valtteri Bottas was second for Mercedes with fellow-Finn Kimi Raikkonen third for Ferrari
Yuki Bhambri Reaches career-best ranking of 83
- Yuki Bhambri reached his career-best ATP ranking of 83.He had done all the hard work through two Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami in the USA.