Daily Current Affairs – April 14 & 15, 2019
ISHKS’ s Indian Joint Registry (IJR) in Bengaluru
- Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons launched the Indian Joint Registry (IJR) in Bengaluru, The registry was launched by Corin Wilson, Acting British Deputy High Commissioner, at the 13th edition of the National Congress of Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons (ISHKS).
ISRO pavilion at Thrissur Pooram expo
- A model of the space suit designed for Gaganyaan astronauts and a scale model of the proposed Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) are among the big draws at this year’s Thrissur Pooram exhibition at Thekkinkad Maidan. S. Somanath, director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), inaugurated the pavilion
Science and Technology:
A coil in the stomach for better TB treatment
- Researchers from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S., have developed a coil made of a nickel-titanium alloy (nitinol) loaded with antibiotics that can stay in the stomach for up to a month and release the necessary drugs in the required doses.
South Korean company makes drinking straws from rice
- Yeonjigonji, Seoul, South Korea based company, has developed the world’s first drinking straws made from rice. Yeonjigonji’s rice straws are harder than typical plastic straws. They are made of seven parts rice flour and three parts tapioca powder.
ICGEB’s novel yeast strain increases ethanol production
- Compared with currently available strains, a robust yeast strain (Saccharomyces cerevisiae NGY10) that can produce up to 15.5% more ethanol when glucose or lignocellulose biomass is fermented has been isolated by researchers from the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, DBT-ICGEB Centre for Advanced Bioenergy Research, Delhi.
Oil consuming bacteria found at sea bottom
- Scientists have discovered a unique oil eating bacteria in the Mariana Trench, the deepest part of the earth’s oceans, In an expedition, organised by marine explorer and film director James Cameron, researchers collected samples from the trench. In the samples, they found microorganisms that eat compounds similar to those in oil and then use it for fuel.
World’s largest plane makes first test flight
- The world’s largest aircraft took off over the Mojave Desert in California, the first flight for the carbon-composite plane built by Stratolaunch Systems Corp. The white airplane called Roc, which has a wingspan the length of an American football field.
India to launch coffee consumption drive
- India will plan and roll out a coffee consumption campaign on behalf of global coffee growers who suffered huge financial losses on account of falling coffee prices and soaring labour cost. The World Coffee Producers Forum has decided to reach out to the coffee consuming countries around the world.
Indian Air Force organises Half Marathon
- A Half Marathon was conducted in Delhi on 14 Apr 19 to mark the 100th birth centenary of the legendary Marshal of the Indian Air Force (MIAF) Arjan Singh, Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).
- Late Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh DFC was the first and only “Five Star” rank officer of Indian Air Force.
MoU between India and Bolivia
- MoU between India and Bolivia on Cooperation in the field of Geology and Mineral Resources and Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy was signed in Bolivia.
- Geology and Mineral Resources MoU will provide an institutional mechanism between India and Bolivia for cooperation in the field of Mineral Resources.
- Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy MoU will lead to promotion and propagation of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy in Bolivia, and will boost the importance of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) systems of Medicine in Bolivia.
MoU between India and Cambodia on Cooperation in the field of Communications
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given ex post-facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Cambodia on Cooperation in the field of Communications was signed in Cambodia. The MoU will contribute in strengthening bilateral cooperation and mutual understanding between India and Cambodia in the field of communications.
Cooperation Agreement between India and Denmark in the field of Renewable Energy
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy of India and Ministry for Energy, Utilities and Climate of the Kingdom of Denmark has signed an agreement on strategic sector cooperation in the field of Renewable Energy with a focus on Offshore Wind Energy and to establish an Indo-Danish Centre of Excellence for renewable energy in India.
MoU between India and Republic of Korea in issuing jointly Postage Stamp
- Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, Government of India and The Ministry of Science and ICT (Korea Post), Government of the Republic of Korea have mutually agreed to jointly issue Postage Stamps on the theme “Queen Hur Hwang-ok of Korea”. The joint stamps will be released on a mutually agreed date by the end of 2019.
MoU between India and Brazilin the area of Biotechnology
- The MoU has been signed to strengthen the ties between India and Brazil to work out on Biomedicine and health, especially biotech based products, Agriculture breeding practices, Biofuel and bio-energy, Nanotechnology and Bio instrumentation, Biodiversity and Taxonomy areas.
Cabinet approves creation of one post of Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General
- The Union Cabinet has approved to create one post of Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General (Coordination, Communication and Information System) in Pay Level-17 (by abolishing one STS level post) in the Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
- The Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General shall oversee the coordination among State Audits, audit of telecommunication and to coordinate the various Information Systems (IS) initiatives within the Indian Audit & Accounts Department (IA&AD).
Cabinet approves Continuation of Phase 4 of (GSLV)
- The Union Cabinet has approved ongoing Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle continuation programme Phase-4 consisting of five GSLV flights during the period 2021-2024.
- The GSLV Programme – Phase 4 will enable the launch of 2 tonne class of satellites for Geo-imaging, Navigation, Data Relay Communication and Space Sciences.
CCEA approves extension of duration of New Urea Policy-2015
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the proposal of the Department of fertilizers to extend the duration of New Urea Policy-2015 for existing gas based urea unit from April 1, 2019 till further orders.
Tiger Woods wins Masters
- Tiger Woods, is an American golfer win the Masters for the fifth time. It was the first time Woods won a major when trailing going into the final round and it was his 81st victory on the PGA Tour, one title away from the career record held by Sam Snead.
Chinese Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton won the Chinese Grand Prix to seize the overall lead from his Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas in Formula One’s 1,000th world championship race.
Hero Super Cup 2019
- FC Goa beat Chennaiyin FC by the odd goal in three (2-1) in the final of the Hero Super Cup.
Singapore Open: Momota and Tzu-ying are champions
- Japan’s Kento Momota withstood a barrage of smashes from Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting to rally for victory in the Singapore Open final.
- In the women’s final, Tai Tzu-ying claimed her second Singapore Open title victory over Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara.
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here