Daily Current Affairs – April 11, 2019
India’s population grew at 1.2 % average annual rate between 2010 and 2019: UN report
- India’s population grew at an average annual rate of 1.2 per cent between 2010 and 2019 to 1.36 billion, more than double the annual growth rate of China, according to a report by the United Nations Population Fund.
- India’s population in 2019 stood at 1.36 billion, growing from 942.2 million in 1994 and 541.5 million in 1969.
Vikram Nath, new Chief Justice of A.P. High Court
- Justice Vikram Nath, senior most judge of the Allahabad High Court, has been appointed Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court. He succeeds acting CJ Justice C. Praveen Kumar. Justice Vikram Nath has been recommended by the Supreme Court collegium, headed by CJ of India Justice Ranjan Gogoi.
Kerala floods to feature in World Reconstruction Conference
- The devastating 2018 floods and the rebuilding measures launched by Kerala in the grim aftermath will feature in the fourth World Reconstruction Conference (WRC) to be held in Geneva, Switzerland on May 13 and 14, 2019.
Science and Technology:
First ever image of a black hole revealed
- Astronomers from National Science Foundation unveiled the first photo of a black hole, one of the star-devouring monsters scattered throughout the Universe and obscured by impenetrable shields of gravity.
IRDAI tells insurers to notify claim status to customers
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) have directed all insurers to notify policyholder’s status of their claims at various stages of processing. Setting July 1 as the deadline for this mechanism.
Anchor takes a new corporate identity
- Anchor Electricals Private Limited has been renamed as Panasonic Life Solutions India Private Limited (PLSIPL) with effect from April 1, 2019. The Managing director of PLSIPL is Vivek Sharma
Kohli, Mandhana win top prizes at Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack honours
- Virat Kohli and Smriti Mandhana clinching the ‘Leading Cricketer of Year’ honours, at Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack. Kohli was named the Leading Cricketer in the World for an unprecedented third year in a row by the 2019 edition of Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, while this is Mandhana’s first award.
- Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan was named the Leading T20 Cricketer of the Year for the second year in a row.
SBI Signs Co-Origination Loan Agreement with PAISALO
- PAISALO, Digital Limited signed the first co-origination loan agreement with State Bank of India, with a vision to empower the AGRI, MSME segment and small businesses. This is a first agreement of its kind in the country that State Bank of India has signed.
INS Shikra hosts Naval Investiture Ceremony
- The Naval Investiture Ceremony for 2019 was held at the naval helicopter base INS Shikra of Western Naval Command (WNC), Mumbai. Naval Dockyard (Vizag) and INS Dwarka were awarded the ‘CNS Trophy for Best Green Practices’ for their environment friendly green initiatives.
New Zealand Parliament votes to ban semi-automatic weapons
- New Zealand’s Parliament passed sweeping gun laws that outlaw military style weapons, less than a month after mass shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch. A bill outlawing most automatic and semi-automatic weapons and banning components that modify existing weapons.
Krishna Nagar wins two golds
- Asian Para Games bronze medallist Krishna Nagar of India won two gold medals at the second Fazza-Dubai para badminton international championships.
Manpreet Kaur banned for four years
- A National Anti-Doping Agency disciplinary panel has handed a four-year suspension to Asian champion woman shot putter Manpreet Kaur for testing positive on four occasions over 84 days in 2017.
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here