Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has inaugurated 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. Every year this Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is on conducted on January 09. This day is also known as NRI Day.
- The theme of this 16th Pravai Bharatiya Divas is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”. The first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was organized in the year 2003.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas:
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated once in every two years which provides a unique platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indian
India chairs three important committee of UN Security Council
India will chair the three committees of United Nations Security Council (UNSC). This was announced by TS Tirumurti, who serves as Permanent Representative of India at the UN.
The three panels are as follows:
- Counter-Terrorism Committee
- Taliban Sanctions Committee
- Libya Sanctions committee.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
World’s First Double Stack Long Haul Container Train flagged off by PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has flagged off world’s first double-stack long haul container train virtually.
- This train was flagged off while inaugurating the Rewari-Madar section of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.
- The New Rewari-New Madar section of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor is situated in Haryana and Rajasthan.
Ramesh Pokhriyal inaugurates ‘EDUCON-2020’ International Conference
Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal has inaugurated International Akhand Conference ‘EDUCON-2020’ virtually through an online mode.
- This conference is organized by Central University of Punjab, Bathinda (CUPB) in collaboration with the Global Educational Research Association (GERA).
About Union Education Ministry:
- Union Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State: Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao
Central Government warns four states for Over Rising COVID19 Cases
The Union Health Secretary has warned four states to take steps to bring down the number of COVID-19 cases. As per the ministry’s data, these states have 59% of total coronavirus cases in the country.
The 4 states are:
- West Bengal
The centre also provide advice for the states to maintain a strict vigil and to take necessary actions
CBIC launches new Liberalised MSME AEO Package for Micro Small and Medium Enterprise
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Custom (CBIC) which is a nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India has introduced a Liberalised Authorised Economic Operator Package for MSMEs.
- This scheme is a voluntary compliance programme that enables swifter Customs clearance for accredited stakeholders in the global supply chain
- Chairperson: M. Ajit Kumar
- Founded: 1 January 1964
Karnataka State Government launches Krishi Sanjeevani Vans for pest control
The State Government of Karnataka has launched 40 Krishi Sanjeevani Vans to test soil, water & suggest remedies for pest control. These vans were flagged off by Karnataka CM Shri B.S. Yediyurappa
- The main aim of these vans is to take labs to the agriculture fields, study the conditions and address the needs of the farmers about pest control.
- Chief Minister: B.S.Yediyurappa
- Capital: Bengaluru
Delhi Government launches new school bag policy
The Delhi government has launched new school bag policy with an aim reduce the weight of school bags and the burden of students.
- This new school bag policy was created by The Ministry of Education.
- As per the education ministry rules, the weight of school bags for classes I-X should not be more than 10 per cent of their body weight.
MoUs & Agreements
Indian Army and LAHDC Kargil inks MoU to move Kargil Lower Plateau
The Indian Army has signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) with LAHDC Kargil to evacuvate Kargil Lower Plateau
- The MoU was signed between the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) Kargil and the Army.
- Under this MoU the army will complete the process of evacuation within 6 months time
About Indian Army:
- Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
- Founded: 1 April 1895, India
Rankings & Reports
Bloomberg Billionaires Index Released – Elon Musk becomes world’s richest person
According to the Bloomberg Billionaires the world’s 500 wealthiest people Index, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has become the world’s richest person, surpassing Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.
- Elon Musk had a net worth of $188.5 billion. It is 1.5 billion more than Bezos.
- According to Forbes real-time billionaires list, Elon Musk remains at the second position. The Frist is secured by Jeff Bezos
NSO predicted India’s GDP at 7.7 per cent for fiscal year 2021
National Statistical Office (NSO) has forecasted India’s Gross Domestic Product per cent at 7.7% for the year 2021.
- This data helps in the budget-making process.
- National Statistical Office comes under Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI).
Judge Merrick Garland appointed as US Attorney General
United States President-elect Joe Biden has selected Judge Merrick Garland appointed as US Attorney General.
- In 1993, he was named deputy assistant attorney general in the Department of Justice.
- He also served as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Vanita Gupta has been nomited by Biden as Associate Attorney General. She is a head of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.
IDFC Mutual Fund introduces awareness campaign #PaisonKoRokoMat for its investors
IDFC Mutual Funds has published a new investor awareness campaign named PaisonKoRokoMat.
- Under this campaign savers can become investors and explore the smart and modern mutual fund vehicle for their investments.
- This campaign was framed by TBWAIndia
About IDFC First Bank:
- CEO: V. Vaidyanathan.
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Founded: October 2015.
Punjab National Bank partnered with IIT Kanpur to set up Fintech Innovation Centre
Punjab National Bank (PNB), has partnered with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur & FIRST (Foundation for Innovation & Research in Science & Technology), to launch the Punjab National Bank – IIT Kanpur Innovation Centre at the IIT campus.
- This Centre will boost research and develop technological solutions to address challenges and explore opportunities in the BFSI space
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao
Claire Polosak emerges as the first female match official in men’s Test match
Australia’s Claire Polosak has become the first female match official in men’s Test match.
- She took her umpire role in the third Test between India and Australia.
- She is appointed as the Fourth umpire. She can also take over the third umpire’s position.
- Chairman: Greg Barclay.
- CEO: Manu Sawhney.
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Current affairs is a genre of broadcast journalism. This differs from regular news broadcasts which place highlights on news reports
Always be on track. Never miss reading current affairs more than 2 weeks.
Always discuss current affairs with other aspirants.
Take Quiz to revise topics that you already covered
Follow our examsdaily site and stay updated and make a note of all the important issues happening internationally and nationally as you might need to re – read them