Daily Current Affairs 25th May 2023
An MoU was signed between India and Australia to develop “Green Hydrogen” and various sectors.
- India and Australia signed MoUs on May 24 to work together on immigration, mobility partnership and development of green hydrogen.
- The Prime Minister of India said that this agreement will be the basis for further development of mutual trust and cooperation in the relationship between India and Australia.
India’s GDP crossed $3.5 trillion by 2022, Moody’s Global Investors Group said in its report.
- Demand in the manufacturing and infrastructure sectors is expected to grow by 3-12 percent annually, while “India’s capacity will be second only to China by 2030,” the company said in its announcement.
- India’s GDP is crossed $3.5 trillion by 2022 and will grow rapidly over the next few years, Moody’s Investors Service said in its report.
Urban Climate Film Festival-2023
- The Urban Climate Film Festival 2023, the first to use the medium of film to sensitize audiences on the environmental and economic impacts of climate change on urban settlements, will be held from 3rd to 5th June at New Town Kolkata.
- It is planned to bring together 16 filmmakers from 12 countries to stimulate conversations about building climate-resilient cities and encourage citizens to adopt ‘environmentally responsible behaviour’ in line with the U20 priority.
India’s ‘AIRAWAT’ ranks 75th in Top 500 Supercomputing list
- ‘AIRAWAT’, an AI supercomputer installed at C-DAC, Pune, has been ranked 75th globally. It was announced in the 61st edition of the Top 500 Global Supercomputing List at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC 2023) in Germany. This puts India at the top of AI supercomputing countries globally.
- India is working on applied AI with a focus on developing solutions for natural language processing, image recognition, pattern recognition, agriculture, medical imaging, education, healthcare, audio assistance, robotics and strategic sectors.
Four judges appointed in Madras High Court take oath
- The President ordered the appointment of four new additional judges in the Madras High Court: R. Sakthivel, who served as the Chief Judge of Krishnagiri District, P. Dhanapal, Chief Registrar of the Madras High Court, C. Kumarappan, who served as the Chief Judge of the Chennai Metropolitan Labor Court, and K. Rajasekar, who served as the Chief Judge of the Coimbatore District.
- Accordingly, the swearing-in ceremony of the new judges was held at the High Court auditorium. Chief Justice T. Raja administered the oath of office to the new judges.
Congress’ UT Khader sworn in as Speaker of Karnataka Assembly:
- Former Karnataka minister and five-time MLA UT Khader was unanimously elected Speaker.
- Khader is the first Muslim leader to serve as Speaker of the Karnataka Assembly.
Mukundan re-appointed as chairman of Tata Chemicals.
- Based on the recommendation of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee, Tata Chemicals has re-appointed Mukundan as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer(CMD) for a period of five years.
- Mukundan’s current tenure as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer ends on November 25, 2023, with this appointment extending his current tenure by another 5 years terms.
“Sourav Ganguly” appointed as Tourism Ambassador of Tripura.
- Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha announced on May 23 that former cricketer Sourav Ganguly has been appointed as the Ambassador of Tripura Tourism.
- The Chief Minister hoped that the selection of Ganguly as the Ambassador for Tripura Tourism is expected to attract significant attention to the unexplored and unknown tourist destinations of the state to the people of India.
Shirgaonkar was appointed as President of Indian Taekwondo Association.
- Namdev Shirgaonkar was elected unopposed as the President of the Taekwondo Organization of India on 21 May 2023.
- He has got a black belt in Taekwondo and will work as the president of the Indian Taekwondo organization and carry out many reforms, the Taekwondo organization said.
- Taekwondo – is a freestyle combat sport that uses feet and hands to repel an opponent.
Discovery of drainage system in Gangaikonda Cholapuram Excavation
- In the 3rd phase of excavation work in the village of Malikapuram near Gangaikondacholapuram, Ariyalur district in Tamil Nadu, a structure like a brick drain has been discovered.
- This canal-like structure is 315 cm long and 45 cm wide from east to west.
Science and Technology
A new synthetic light-harvesting system using organic nanotubes
- Researchers have developed a new method for harvesting artificial light using organic nanotubes that can be used in solar cells, photovoltaics, optical sensors and tunable multi-color light-emitting materials.
- Dr. from IISER, Kolkata. Subratim Banerjee, along with Dr. Suman Chakraborty from the S. N. Bose National Center for Basic Sciences, conducted experimental and computational investigations of artificial light harvesting in these organic nanotubes.
2 medals for India in ISSF World Cup Shooting Championships.
- Indian shooters Darshna Rathore and Ganemat Sekhon won bronze and silver medals in the women’s individual event at the 2023 ISSF World Cup Shooting Championships on May 23.
- This is the first time in history that India has won two individual medals in the women’s category at this ISSF World Cup.
World Thyroid Day
- World Thyroid Day is observed on May 25 to raise awareness about the prevention and treatment of thyroid disease.
- The theme of this year’s World Thyroid Day is ‘Measure your blood pressure accurately, control it, live longer’, to combat the low awareness rates world wide’.
Download Daily Current Affairs 25th May 2023 PDF