Daily Current Affairs 13th January 2023
New Dust Control Technology invented by CMPDIL
- Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Limited (CMPDIL), Ranchi (a consultancy subsidiary of Coal India Limited) has invented a “System and Method for Controlling Generation and Movement of Fugitive Dust” system to minimize and control the fugitive dust in mining areas,
- This system can be used in mines, thermal power plants, railway sidings, and ports, construction sites wherein coal or other minerals/fugitive materials are stored under open sky.
- The present invention relates to the synchronized application of windbreak (WB) and vertical greenery system (VGS) for reducing generation and dispersion of fugitive dust.
- The present invention provides means to reduce the generation and dispersion of such dusts into the air.
First health working group meet under India’s G20 Presidency
- The first health working group meeting under India’s G20 Presidency will be held from the 18th to 20th of January at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
- These meetings will plan to use the G20 events to promote India’s traditional medicine, indigenous products like herbal tea, and recipes based on Ayurveda.
MoU was signed between Indian High Commission to establish Hindi Chair
- The Indian High Commission signed a memorandum of understanding to establish a Hindi Chair at Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka after the Vishwa Hindi Diwas.
- High Commissioner Gopal Baglay and Vice Chancellor of Sabaragamuwa University Prof. Udaya Rathnayake signed the MoU to establish the Hindi Chair as part of India’s cultural connects through Indian Council for Cultural Relations.
- The Hindi chair will help in familiarizing students with India, its history, and culture as well as pave way for popularizing Hindi by deputing Indian faculties.
India’s first 5G enabled drone developed by noida’s IG Drones
- Startup firm IG Drones, which was born out of Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT) campus in Odisha’s Sambalpur has developed a 5G-enabled drone that is capable of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL).
- The drone named Skyhawk can be used in defense and medical applications, among other sectors. The drone can carry a 10 kg payload and has an endurance of around five hours.
Addition of artificial colors to basmati rice is prohibited by FSSAI
- Artificial colors are added to the popular basmati rice to enhance its artificial coloring, polishing agents and artificial fragrances.
- In this case, for the first time, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has banned the addition of artificial colors to basmati rice.
- It has also been informed that these regulations will come into force from 1st August 2023.
Most punctual airports in the world list was published
- Official Airline Guides has published a list of regularly 20 most punctual airports and airlines worldwide.
- List of 20 most punctual airports in the world,
- Japan’s Osaka International Airport holds the 1st place
- Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore Airport, operated by the Airports Authority of India, is ranked 13th place in the list.
- List of non-scheduled airlines
- Indonesia’s Garuda Indonesia Airlines is ranked 1st in the list.
- IndiGo, India’s largest airline is ranked 15th place in the list.
Two cough syrup ban by WHO
- “Cough syrups made by India’s Marion Biotech should not be used for children, after the products were linked to 19 deaths in Uzbekistan, Laboratory analysis found both products contained unacceptable amounts of diethylene glycol and /or ethylene,”
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended banning “The two products are AMBRONOL syrup and DOK-1 Max syrup. The stated manufacturer of both products is Marion Biotech (Uttar Pradesh, India).
World’s most powerful and weakest passport in 2023
- The Henley Passport Index for 2023 has been released by a London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm based on exclusive data provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- Top 10 powerful passports from the Henley Passport Index
- Bottom 10 weakest passports from the Henley Passport Index
Diaspora Tamil Day Festival
- In order to unify the Tamil associations abroad and to celebrate the achievements of the Tamils in the Diaspora every year on January 12th, the Diaspora Tamil Day is celebrated. A two-day seminar was started on January 11, 2023 at Kalaivanar Arangam , Chennai on the occasion of the Diaspora Tamil Day.
- In this, seminars were held on the subject of Tamil migration all over the world, studies carried out there and Tamil learning and teaching in foreign countries, and new welfare programs for Tamils from abroad were launched by the Chief Minister.
The Central Government has approved to promote the use of ‘Rupay’ Debit Card
- As the number of digital transactions continues to rise in India, the central government has approved a new scheme to further promote digital transactions.
- Through this scheme, the Cabinet has approved an allocation of Rs 2600 crore for providing incentives for BHIM UPI and Rupay Debit cards.
- This incentive will be given to those using Rupay Debit card and BHIM UPI transactions for personal-merchant transactions.
Flint earrings worn by Sangam women have been found in Thenpennai River
- Three flint earrings worn by Sangam women were found in Thenpennai River near Panruti, Cuddalore district.
- It features a pattern on the top of an earring. It reflects the artistic finesse of the people of the Sangam period and has yielded flint dolls, circular chips, flint smoker and lamp.
Science and Technology
Russia to launch rescue mission for stranded astronauts on ISS
- Moscow will launch a rescue vessel to the International Space Station to bring home three crew members who are in effect stuck in orbit after their original capsule was hit by a meteoroid in February
- It has decided to bring forward a planned March launch of the Soyuz MS-23 to 20 February so it can be used to transport the Russian cosmonauts Sergey Prokopyev and Dmitry Petelin and the US astronaut Francisco Rubio back to Earth.
Braving A Viral Storm: India’s Covid-19 Vaccine Story – Book published
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Mansukh Mandaviya officially launched the book titled Braving A Viral Storm: India’s Covid-19 Vaccine Story in New Delhi on 11th January 2023.
- The book is co-authored by Aashish Chandorkar and Suraj Sudhir. The book launch comes ahead of India’s second anniversary of starting its COVID-19 vaccination drive in January 2021; the book is a transcription of the country’s success story and will be New India’s history.
New rankings list was released by International Cricket Council
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has released the new ODI rankings.
- According to the batsman ranking
- Pakistan captain Babar Azam at the 1st place,
- South Africa’s Vander Dussen at the 2nd place,
- Pakistan’s Imam ul-Haq is also at 3rd place.
- Indian player Virat Kohli has moved up 2 places to 6th place.
- India’s Rohit Sharma has moved up one place to 8th place.
- According to the bowlers ranking
- New Zealand’s Trent Boult ranked 1st in the list,
- Australia’s Hazlewood at the 2nd place
- Indian fast bowler Mohammad Siraj has climbed 4 places to 18th place.
- India’s Suryakumar Yadav tops the 20-over batting rankings with 908 points.
- Australia’s Marnus Labuschagne has emerged as the ‘number one’ in the Test batsmen rankings.
Korean American Day
- Korean American Day is observed annually on 13th January, the date of the first Korean immigrants’ arrival in the U.S.
- Korean American Day is recognized as a time for Korean Americans to reflect on their history, celebrate their culture, and honor the sacrifices of their ancestors who came to the United States seeking a better life.