Daily Current Affairs 12th January 2023
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY):
- The Cabinet led by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had approved a new integrated food security scheme for providing free food grains to Antodaya Ann Yojna (AAY) & Primary Household (PHH) beneficiaries, to be rolled out from 1st January 2023.
- New scheme has been named as Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY). Implementation of the new scheme has started from 1st January 2023, benefitting more than 80 crore poor and poorest of poor people.
Road Safety Week
- The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India is observing the Road Safety Week from 11th to 17th January 2023, under “Swachhata Pakhwada”, to propagate the cause of safer roads for all.
- During the Week, various activities are being organized throughout the Country to create awareness among the general public and to give an opportunity to all stakeholders to contribute to the cause of road safety.
DRDO carries out successful test launch of short-range ballistic missile Prithvi II off Odisha coast
- The Ministry of Defence said that Defence Research and Development Organisation, DRDO, successfully carried out a training launch of a Short-Range Ballistic Missile, Prithvi-II from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
- It said that the Prithvi-II missile is a well-established system and has been an integral part of India’s nuclear deterrence.
DRDO-Defence Research and Development Organisation
Nepal’s PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachand wins vote of confidence in Parliament
- Nepal’s New PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachand has secured a vote of confidence in Parliament
- Dahal won a vote of confidence in the House almost unopposed. Pushpa Kamal Dahal received 268 votes in the 275-member parliament.
Indian-origin Ranj Pillai becomes premier of Yukon territory in Canada
- Canada’s Indian-origin Cabinet Minister Ranj Pillai will take oath as the tenth Premier of Yukon territory in the country on January 14. He will become the second politician of Indian heritage to lead a region in the country, Yukon News reported on Tuesday.
- On January 8, Pillai was unanimously chosen as the leader of Yukon Liberal Party.
PM Modi to Inaugurate Global Investors Summit in Madhya Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Madhya Pradesh Global Investors Summit in Indore today, through video conferencing.
- Delegations from more than 65 countries are participating in the Global Investors Summit. More than 500 prominent industrialists of the country are also participating in the summit.
MV Ganga Vilas:
- PM Modi to flag off world’s longest Varanasi-Dibrugarh river cruise on Jan 13
- MV Ganga Vilas will begin its journey from Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and travel around 3,200 km in 51 days to reach Dibrugarh in Assam via Bangladesh, sailing across 27 river systems in India and Bangladesh.
- Besides, prime minister Modi will also inaugurate the Tent City at Varanasi and lay the foundation stones for several other inland waterways projects worth more than Rs 1,000 crore via videoconferencing, Prime Minister’s Office said in a release on Wednesday.
Army Day Parade is going to be held for the first time on 15th January in Bengaluru
- Bengaluru will hold the 75th Army Day parade on January 15.This is the first time the event is being conducted outside the national capital.
- Army Day is celebrated on January 15 annually to commemorate Army Chief Major General KM Cariappa becoming the first Indian Commander-in-Chief post independence after he took over command of the Army from the Britishers.
IIT-Madras Annual Cultural Festival Sarang will be held from January 12 to 15
- The 28th edition of Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-Madras) Annual Cultural Festival ‘Saarang’ will be conducted completely in physical mode this year from tomorrow to January 15 with a slew of diverse events planned in the campus.
- Saarang is one of the largest student-run festivals in the country. Saarang 2023 will feature nearly 100 events and is expected to attract a footfall of over 80,000 from over 500 colleges across the country.
RRR-film’s song ‘Naatu Naatu’ won the Golden Globe Award
- The Golden Globe Awards, RRR’s Nadtu Koothu was nominated in the Best Original Song category. ‘Nattu Koothu’ was the first Indian song to win a Golden Globe Award for this category.
- Also, Nathu Koothu has been shortlisted for the Original Song category at the 95th Oscars. The ceremony will be held in March.
Kerala in Guinness World Records
- Kerala set a Guinness World Record by kicking 4500 penalty shots in 12 hours under the ‘Dream Goal Penalty Shootout’ program organized by Kerala Sports Department at Manjeri Bhaiyanadu Stadium.
- Kerala beat Germany’s record of 2500 goals in 12 hours and set a world record through Malappuram district.
FIH Hockey World Cup-2023
- The Opening ceremony of the FIH Hockey World Cup will be held in Cuttack in Odisha today.
- The Hockey World Cup being hosted by Odisha for the second consecutive time will be played in the iconic Kalinga Stadium in the capital of Bhubaneswar and the newly built Birsa Munda Stadium in the steel city of Rourkela.
- A total of 16 teams are participating in the prestigious World Cup tournament that kick starts on Friday till the 29th of this month.
Last king of Greece passes away
- King Constantine II of Greece, who reigned from 1964 until 1973 when the monarchy was abolished in the country,
- Constantine II, the last king of Greece, died of ill health at the age of 82.
Tirupur Kumaran Memorial Day
- He founded the DesaBandhu Youth Association and led protests against the British. He died from injuries sustained from a police assault on the banks of Noyyal River in Tirupur during a protest march against the British government on 11 January 1932.