Daily Current Affairs – October 3 2018
Tirupati bans plastic carry bags
- Ban on plastic carry bags came into force in Tirupati on Gandhi Jayanti day.
Guwahati sports India’s ‘tallest’ national flag
- The Assam government celebrated the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi by unfurling India’s tallest National Flag from the average city elevation. The 9,600 sq ft flag stands on a 319.5 ft flag pole at Gandhi Mandap, a memorial for Mahatma Gandhi atop the Sarania Hill
46th Chief Justice of India
- Justice Ranjan Gogoi was sworn-in as new Chief Justice of India. President Ram Nath Kovind administered him the oath of office at a function in Rashtrapati Bhawan. He has succeeded Justice Dipak Misra who retired as Chief Justice of India. Justice Gogoi is the 46th Chief Justice of India.
Inauguration of Multimedia Exhibition
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Information & Broadcasting and Sports & Youth Affairs Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd.) inaugurated Multimedia Exhibition on 150 years of Celebrating Mahatma Gandhi’s Birth Anniversary.
First printed Tirukkural to be republished after 168 years
- Sivalayam J. Mohan, to bring out the edition on October 5, exactly 165 years after it [1853 edition] was first published because it falls on the birthday of Ramalinga Vallalar.
Australia scraps ‘tampon tax’
- Australia finally agreed to scrap its so-called “tampon tax”.
Amazon to raise minimum wage to $15 for U.S. employees
- Amazon.com Inc to raise its minimum wage to $15 per hour for its U.S. employees from next month as it faces criticism for pay disparity from lawmakers and labour unions.
International Court of Justice orders U.S. to lift sanctions on humanitarian goods’ import by Iran
- The United Nations’ highest court ordered the United States to lift sanctions on Iran that affect imports of humanitarian goods and products and services linked to the safety of civil aviation.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
National level entrepreneurship awareness campaign – Udyam Abhilasha
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has launched a national level entrepreneurship awareness campaign – Udyam Abhilasha, in 115 aspirational districts identified by NITI Aayog in 28 States.
PAN India Workshop on Prevention of Hazardous Cleaning of Sewers and Septic Tanks
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated a “PAN India Workshop on Prevention of Hazardous cleaning of sewers and septic tanks” organized by National Safai Karmcharis Finance & Development Corporation (NSKLFDC) under Ministry of Social Justice
- Barham Salih – Iraq’s President
- Shiite Adel Abdul Mahdi – Iraq’s Prime Minister
- Kevin Roberts – New CEO of Cricket Australia
Food security scheme
- Odisha government launched the State’s own food security scheme to cover the poor people.
- UNEP Champions of the Earth award – Narendra Modi [In New Delhi presented by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres]
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine – James P. Allison [USA] and Tasuku Honjo [Japan] [For their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation]
- Nobel Prize in Physics – Arthur Ashkin [USA] [For the optical tweezers and their application to biological systems] ; Gérard Mourou [France] and Donna Strickland [Canada] [For their method of generating high-intensity, ultra-short optical pulses]
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry – Frances H. Arnold [USA] [For the directed evolution of enzymes] ; George P. Smith [USA] and Sir Gregory P.Winter [UK] [For the phage display of peptides and antibodies]
- Mata Amritanandamayi Devi – Award for the largest contribution to the Swacch Bharat Kosh.
Under-19 Asia Cup
- India entered the semifinal of the Under-19 Asia Cup Cricket.
31st All India Railways Chess tournament
- The 31st All India Railways Chess tournament will begin at Trichy in Tamil Nadu.
SAFF U-18 Women’s Championship
- India to face Nepal in semi-finals of SAFF U-18 Women’s Championship at Thimphu, Bhutan
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs
To Download Pocket Current Affairs
To Download 2018 September Month Current Affairs Quiz PDF
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here