Daily Current Affairs – October 16 2018
October 16 – World Food Day
- World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honor of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in 1945.
Government announces Rs 1500 Cr for immediate relief works in drought affected 206 blocks
- Bihar government has announced that 1500 Crore rupees would be spent for immediate relief works in drought-affected 206 blocks of 23 districts in the state.
Inauguration the hi-tech Central Warehouse
- Union Minister of State for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Shri Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated the hi-tech Central Warehouse, setup by the Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) in Bilaspur, Gurugram.
Two-day Agri-startup and Entrepreneurship inauguration
- On the occasion of World Food Day, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated a two-day Agri-startup and Entrepreneurship in New Delhi.
- Theme – Unleashing potentials in agriculture for young agri-preneurs.
Foundation Stone of National Institute of Homeopathy at Narela
- Union Minister of State for AYUSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik laid the foundation stone of National Institute of Homeopathy at Narela.
Sri Lanka sets up committee to help Sri Lankan businesses
- Sri Lanka sets up committee to formulate a strategy to help Sri Lankan businesses invest more the Indian market.
Afghan-Pakistani border closed after clashes
- A major part of the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan remained closed for the second consecutive day following clashes between the security forces of the two countries.
North Korea, South Korea and UN Command begin talks on demilitarising border
- North Korea, South Korea and the US-led United Nations Command began talks on demilitarising a section of the heavily fortified border dividing the peninsula.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt hikes GPF interest rate to 8%
- The union government has increased the rate of interest for General Provident Fund (GPF) and other related schemes by 0.4 percentage points to 8 per cent for the October-December quarter of current financial year.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
6th meeting of UAE-India High-Level Joint Task Force on Investments
- India will soon set up a special UAE desk to facilitate investments and resolve any business issues between the two nations. Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu made the announcement after co-chairing the sixth meeting of UAE-India High-Level Joint Task Force on Investments in Mumbai.
6th India International Silk Fair
- Union Minister of Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani, inaugurated the 6th India International Silk Fair (IISF) at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- Sandeep Bakshi – Managing Director and CEO of ICICI Bank for 3 years
Youth Road Safety Learners Licence programme
- The government launched a training programme which is expected to help achieve its target of reducing road accidents by 50 per cent by 2020.
- The initiative aims to bring a formal and structured training program for young, first-time drivers as they apply for a learner’s license.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana
- Shri Mandaviya also inaugurated Digital Cash Management System for Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana to be implemented as a partnership between BPPI and Bank of Baroda.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
MoU between India and Tanzania
- India and Tanzania signed two MoUs between Foreign Service Institute of India and Centre for Foreign Relation, Tanzania and National Research Development Corporation and Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Corporation.
UP cabinet decides to rename Allahabad as Prayagraj
- Uttar Pradesh cabinet decided to change the name of Allahabad city to Prayagraj.
Goa Maritime Symposium – 2018
- The Goa Maritime Symposium – 2018, the second edition of the Goa Maritime Symposium (GSM) – a forum towards fostering friendly relations with the maritime neighbours – was inaugurated by the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba at INS Mandovi at Goa on 16th October 2018.
APP & WEBPORTAL
DRDO website ‘The Kalam Vision – Dare to Dream’
- Defence Minister Nimala Sitharaman dedicated a DRDO website ‘The Kalam Vision – Dare to Dream’ to former president and ‘Missile Man’ Dr APJ Abdul Kalam in New Delhi.
- Suraj Panwar clinches silver in men’s 5000m race walk event in Argentina.