Daily Current Affairs – March 20, 2019
CM Pramod Sawant wins floor test
- BJP led Goa government under new chief minister Pramod Sawant won the floor test in the legislative assembly by 20 to 15 votes.
Corn cob drying facility launched
- Kaveri Seeds which develops quality hybrids of key Indian crops has announced the commencement of its corn cob drying facility at Molangur in Karimnagar. The plant is Asia’s largest and the first of its kind cob dryer.
Indian-origin Jagmeet creates history, enters Canada parliament
- Indian-origin Jagmeet Singh has created history in Canada when he made his debut in the House of Commons as the first non-white leader of a major opposition party in the country.
Kazakhstan President resigns after nearly 30 years in power
- Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev has announced his resignation after nearly 30 years in power. The 78-year old leader had ruled the country since it emerged from the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. The Chairman of the Kazakh Senate would take over.
Kazakhstan to rename country’s capital Astana as Nursultan
- Kazakhstan’s parliament voted to rename the country’s capital Astana as Nursultan in honour of longtime ruler Nursultan Nazarbayev, a day after he resigned as president.
- Kazakhstan’s new interim president Kassym-Jomart Tokayev proposed renaming the capital. Astana replaced Kazakhstan’s largest city Almaty as the capital in 1997.
Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Fugitive jeweller Nirav Modi was arrested by Scotland Yard in London. He is the main accused in the 13,500 crore rupees Punjab National Bank scam case.
NASA to send helicopter to Mars
- According to NASA, “the Mars Helicopter, a small, autonomous rotorcraft, will travel with the agency’s Mars 2020 rover mission, currently scheduled to launch in July 2020.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
EU regulators fine Google €1.49 billion
- European Union (EU) antitrust regulators handed down a €1.49 billion fine to Google for blocking rival online search advertisers, marking the company’s third penalty in two years.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure-2019 concludes
- The two-day International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (IWDRI) successfully concluded. Experts from 33 countries representing a wide variety of development and disaster risk contexts, multilateral development banks, the United Nations, the private sector, academia, policy think tanks and other stakeholders participated in the workshop.
- Former Supreme Court judge Pinaki Chandra Ghose – India’s first Lokpal
- Mumbai social worker Gauri Sawant – First transgender election ambassador
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act
- The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act, which envisages appointment of a Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayuktas in states to look into cases of corruption against certain categories of public servants, was passed in 2013.
Indian Navy – first Responder to Cyclone ‘IDAI’ in Mozambique
- The ships of First Training Squadron of Indian Navy (Sujata, Sarathi and Shardul) operating in the Southern Indian Ocean were diverted to Port Beira, Mozambique based on request received from the Government of Mozambique to provide Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) to the local population post the devastation caused by cyclone ‘IDAI’ which struck the coast of Mozambique on 15 Mar 19.
- Abel Prize in mathematics – Karen Uhlenbeck of the U.S. [For her work on partial differential equations, the first woman to win the award]
Tokyo 2020 Olympics torch unveiled
- Organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled a cherry-blossom shaped torch for the Games as the city prepares for the famed flower season to begin in coming days.
5th SAFF Women’s Championship
- India defeated Bangladesh and have entered the final of 5th South Asian Football Federation, SAFF Women’s Championship.
To Follow Channel –Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here