Daily Current Affairs – March 17 & 18, 2019
Paramotoring launched at Padinjarekkara Beach
- The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) launched a paramotor sporting event at Padinjarekkara Beach between Ponnani and Tirur.
Folk-cultural rally in Nalbari to promote voters awareness
- In Assam, as a part of the unique and innovative approach being initiated by Nalbari District Administration to promote voters awareness, a folk-cultural rally was taken out at Nalbari.
- The folk cultural troupes including Dhuliya, Ojha paali, Puppetry, Naam party and Biya naam promoted awareness among the voters and brought to town a festive gear for the ensuing Lok Sabha election.
Goa CM Manohar Parrikar passes away at 63
- Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar passed away in Panaji after a prolonged illness. A six-time MLA and former Defence Minister, Mr Parrikar was born on 13th December, 1955. He graduated from Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai with a B.Tech degree in metallurgical engineering. Mr Parrikar was first elected to the Goa assembly in 1994.
- He served as a Rajya Sabha MP from November 2014 to September 2017. The popular leader would be remembered for his efforts in infrastructure and education development in the state and bringing the International Film Festival of India to Goa in 2004.
Russia slams new Western sanctions against its officials
- Russia has slammed new Western sanctions against its officials over their role in a naval confrontation with Ukraine last year. The United States, Canada and the European Union slapped new sanctions on more than a dozen Russian officials and businesses in response to Moscow’s alleged aggression in Ukraine.
Fish farms told not to rear African catfish
- The Fisheries Department of Tiruvannamalai has told farms that rearing African catfish is an offence and anyone doing so should destroy them immediately. The government imposed a ban on farming of the invasive species that is proliferating in waterbodies across the State, posing a threat to native aquatic species.
- Native to Africa and the Middle East, where it inhabits freshwater lakes, rivers, swamps, and urban sewage systems, the African catfish was introduced all over the world in the early 1980s for aquaculture.
NGT directs CPCB to prepare a noise pollution map
- The National Green Tribunal, NGT, has directed the Central Pollution Control Board, CPCB, to prepare a noise pollution map and remedial action plan to solve the issue across the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
‘Green’ coffee may brew better farm incomes
- Giving fresh hope to coffee growers, the State Industries Department is gearing up to set up a carbon neutral farm project in Wayanad district of Kerala . A carbon-neutral project in Kerala promises to change the lives of Wayanad ryots.
- A carbon neutral village coffee park would be set up for which the State government had earmarked Rs.150 crore for first phase construction works.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
ICC ODI rankings
- Batsman – 1) Virat Kohli 2) Rohit Sharma
- Bowlers – 1) Jasprit Bumrah 2) New Zealand’s Trent Boult
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
International workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
- International workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure will begin in New Delhi on March 19. The two-day event is being organised by the National Disaster Management Authority in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Rear Admiral Krishna Swaminathan VSM – Assumes charge as Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST)
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
India, Maldives agree on broad spectrum of issues for further collaboration
- India and Maldives have agreed on a broad spectrum of issues for further collaboration, including development cooperation and enhancing people to people contact. India and Maldives signed three agreements on visa facilitation for diplomatic and official passport holders, development cooperation and renewable energy.
Second Scorpene submarine Khanderi ready for induction
- The Navy is set to induct the second Scorpene submarine Khanderi by early May. The remaining submarines in the series are in advanced stages of manufacturing and trials. Khanderi was launched in January 2017 and has since been undergoing a series of trials
Africa-India Field Training Exercise-2019
- The inaugural Africa-India Field Training Exercise-2019 for India and African nations called AFINDEX-19 scheduled from 18 March to 27 March 2019 started with a grand opening ceremony on 18 March 2019 at Aundh Military Station, Pune.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice the participating nations in planning and conduct of Humanitarian Mine Assistance and Peace Keeping Operations under Chapter VII of United Nations Peace Keeping Operations.
Prajnesh rises to career-high ranking of 84
- India’s Prajnesh Gunneswaran rises to career-high rank of 84 but injured Yuki Bhambri dropped out of top-200 for the first time in almost two years.
- In the recently released ATP rankings, Prajnesh had collected 61 points after reaching the third round at the ATP Master series event, where he beat world number 18 Nikoloz Basilashvili to register the biggest win of his career.
Thiem defeats Federer to win Indian Wells Masters
- Dominic Thiem fought back from a set down to defeat Roger Federer 3-6 6-3 7-5 in the final of the Indian Wells Masters, winning a Masters 1000 title for the first time in his career.
Ladies European Tour title
- Diksha Dagar became only the second Indian woman golfer to win on the Ladies European Tour after pipping Lee-Anne Pace by one shot at the South African Open.
Gopi Thonakal qualifies for World Athletics Championships
- In marathon, India’s Asian champion Gopi Thonakal has qualified for the World Athletics Championships to be held in the Qatari capital Doha in September-October this year. He achieved qualification after finishing 11th in the Seoul International Marathon.
Special Olympics: India bags 70 medals
- In Special Olympics, India have bagged 70 medals including 18 golds, 22 silver and 30 bronze, so far, at Abu Dhabi.
India’s Irfan KT qualifies for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- India’s Irfan KT qualified for next year’s Tokyo Olympics. He made the cut after finishing fourth at the Asian Race Walking Championship at Nomi in Japan. Irfan clocked 1 hour 20 minutes and 57 seconds in the 20-kilometre walk to attain the standard qualifying mark for the Olympics.
5th SAFF Women’s Championship
- Defending champion India will take on Bangladesh in the semi final of 5th South Asian Football Federation, SAFF Women’s Championship on March 20.