Daily Current Affairs – March 16 2019
SVEEP to focus on youth
- To enhance the percentage of polling in the Lok Sabha election, it has been planned to conduct youth festivals at the taluk level under Systematic Voters’ Education and and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) campaign.
Nutrition boost for adolescent girls
- In a move to address nutritional problem among adolescent girls, the International Crops Research Institute for Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), a wing of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), launched a project called ‘Iron for Adolescents’ or ‘FeFA’ . The term FeFa has been chosen as Fe is the symbol of iron while ‘FA stands for For Adolescents’.
India to continue efforts to get Masood Azhar listed under UN 1267 sanctions
- New Delhi will continue to make concerted efforts to ensure that JeM chief Masood Azhar gets listed under UN 1267 sanctions regime with 14 of the 15 UN Security Council Members supporting India to list him as a global terrorist.
Door open for India to bring serious trade proposal to table: US
- The US has said that the door is open if India is prepared to bring a serious proposal to the table to address the issues related to trade and market access.
2019 Slovakia presidential election
- The Slovakian Presidential election is going to take place over two rounds on 16th and 30th March 2019. This is the fifth direct election of the President in Slovakia’s history.
3 astronauts on Soyuz craft successfully reach ISS
- A Russian cosmonaut and two US astronauts arrived at the International Space Station aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft, five months after the failed launch of a rocket carrying two of the passengers.
Tropical cyclone Idai
- In Mozambique, at least 19 people died and more than 70 others were injured after cyclone Idai hit the central part of the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI issues guidelines to prevent market abuse
- The Reserve Bank of India has come out with guidelines to prevent misuse of price-sensitive information by participants in markets for financial instruments.
SBI launches cardless ATM withdrawals
- State Bank of India launched ‘YONO Cash’ for cardless withdrawal of cash at over 16,500 SBI ATMs across the country.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
First BRICS Sherpa meeting concludes
- The first BRICS Sherpa meeting under the Presidency of Brazil concluded at Curitiba in Brazil.
Fourth United Nations Environment Assembly
- India piloted resolutions on two important global environment issues relating to Single-use Plastics and Sustainable Nitrogen management at the fourth session of United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) which was held in Nairobi from 11th to 15th March 2019. Theme – Innovative Solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable production and consumption.
India-U.S. looking to develop unmanned aerial vehicles
- India and the U.S. have identified small air launch unmanned aerial vehicles(UAV) and a lightweight small arms technology project along with aircraft maintenance for defence collaboration.
Navy hires multipurpose vessel for logistics support
DD Mahila Kisan Award
- Swati Shingade of Pune, Maharashtra – First prize of DD Mahila Kisan Award for 2018-19.
India to host U-17 Women’s Football World Cup in 2020
- India will host the Under-17 Women’s Football World Cup in 2020. This will be the second FIFA tournament India will be hosting, after the U-17 Men’s World Cup in 2017.
Kamalpreet Kaur wins gold in women’s discus throw event
- In the Federation Cup Athletics held at Patiala, Kamalpreet Kaur grabbed the spotlight by winning a gold medal with a throw of 60.25 metres in the women’s discus throw event and also qualified for the Asian Championships.
Asian Youth Athletics Championships
- India bagged five medals, including two gold, in the Asian Youth Athletics Championships in Hong Kong.