Daily Current Affairs – March 14 2019
March 14 – World Kidney Day
- The day is observed annually on the second Thursday in March to create awareness on the importance of kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney diseases. The theme this year is, ‘Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere’.
United States to set up six nuclear power plants in India
- India and the United States have committed to strengthen bilateral security and civil nuclear cooperation, including the establishment of six US nuclear power plants in India.
US Senate votes to end support for Yemen war
- The US Senate rebuking Donald Trump’s foreign policy and his alliance with Riyadh has voted to end support for the bloody Saudi-led war effort in Yemen.
Boeing recommends temporary suspension of its entire world fleet of 737 MAX aircraft
- One of the largest global aircraft manufacturer Boeing has recommended a temporary suspension of its entire world fleet of the 737 MAX aircraft.
- The move comes after several countries, including India, China, European Union and the United States banned the use of the aircraft in wake of the Ethiopian Airlines crash that killed all 157 people on board.
United States slams China for its human rights violations
- The United States has slammed China for its human rights violations in the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
National Company Law Appellate Tribunal reserves its order on petition by Reliance Communications
- The National Company Law Appellate Tribunal has reserved its order on a petition by Reliance Communications which has approached the tribunal seeking the release of income tax refunds to clear dues of Ericsson.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
1st meeting between India and Pakistan
- The first meeting between India and Pakistan to discuss and finalize the modalities for Kartarpur Corridor will be held at Indian side of the Attari-Wagah border. Both Indian and Pakistani delegations reached Amritsar to participate in the meeting.
First Workshop on India Energy Modelling Forum
- The NITI Aayog and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) organized the first workshop on development of the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF), which has been envisaged as a pan-stakeholder platform for debating ideas, scenario-planning & discussing the India’s energy future.
- Supreme Court appoints PS Narasimha as mediator to resolve disputes of admin in BCCI
Man Portable Anti Tank Guided Missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired indigenously developed, low weight, fire and forget Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) for the second time in the ranges of Rajasthan desert.
President of India presents Gallantry Awards
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations at the Defence Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Special Olympics World Games 2019
- Special Olympics World Games 2019 which is being held from March 14 to March 21 in UAE, has made history by welcoming a record-breaking 200 nations ahead of the Games. Of the 200 nations, 195 will compete in the Games and five will observe. It is being held in West Asia for the first time.
5th SAFF Women’s Championship
- Bangladesh and host Nepal have entered the semi-finals of 5th South Asian Football Federation, SAFF Women’s Championship. India has unbeaten record in SAFF championship and it has won the trophy four times.