Daily Current Affairs – March 10,11 2019
MP govt issues ordinance to give 27% quota to OBCs
- Madhya Pradesh state government has issued an ordinance raising reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBC) to 27 per cent from the present 14 per cent.
Nagaland launches 1st round polio immunization
- Nagaland launched the first round of immunisation as part of the nationwide Pulse Polio programme. One-and-a-half lakh children of less than five years will be given polio drops to sustain polio eradication.
Lok Sabha polls to be held in 7 phases
- Lok Sabha elections will be held in seven phases from April 11 to May 19.
- The Assembly elections in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh will also be held simultaneously.
PM Modi, Bangladesh counterpart jointly inaugurate development projects
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina, jointly unveiled e-plaques for development projects in Bangladesh, through video conferencing.
- Both the leaders unveiled e-plaques for the supply of buses and trucks, the inauguration of 36 community clinics, 11 water treatment plants, and extension of National Knowledge Network to Bangladesh.
China protests US criticism of policies on religion
- China protests the United States for criticising Beijing’s polices toward Muslim and Tibetan Buddhist minorities and saying the country was at war with faith.
China, US reach consensus on many key issues
- China and the United States have reached a consensus on many key issues, including exchange rates, during the latest round of talks to negotiate a comprehensive trade deal, in Washington.
North Koreans voting to elect rubber-stamp Parliament
- North Koreans are voting today to elect the country’s rubber-stamp Parliament, the second such election since Kim Jong-un took power.
- Voting for the Supreme People’s Assembly is mandatory and there’s no choice of candidates. Turnout is always close to 100 per cent and approval for the governing alliance is unanimous. On election day, the entire population aged 17 or older must come out and vote.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India will become five trillion dollar economy by 2025
- Addressing the Indian community at San Jose in Costa Rica, The Vice President asserted that India will become a five trillion dollar economy and the third largest consumer market in the world by 2025.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Centre approves two corridors of Surat Metro project
- The Centre has approved two corridors of the Surat Metro project to be executed at an estimated cost of around 12,000 crore rupees. The length of the first corridor – Sarthana to Dream City line – will be 21.61 kilometers and the second – Bhesan to Saroli – will be 18.74 kilometres.
- The project will be financed mainly through equity from the Centre and state government on 50-50 basis.
New visa agreement between Maldives & India comes into force
- The new visa agreement between Maldives and India has come into force from. The agreement will provide a liberal visa policy for Maldivians seeking medical treatment as well as education and business opportunities in India.
- There have been several high-level exchanges since the present government took over last November while India extended 1.4 billion US dollars assistance to the new government.
50th Raising Day ceremony of CISF
- PM Modi was addressing the 50th Raising Day ceremony of CISF at Indirapuram in Ghaziabad district of Uttar Pradesh.
Indian defence lab develops ‘combat drugs’ to reduce casualties in Pulwama type attacks, warfare
- With 90 per cent of gravely wounded security personnel succumbing to injuries within a few hours, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO’s) medical laboratory has come up with a range of ‘combat casualty drugs’ that can extend the golden hour till the trooper is shifted to hospital.
President Kovind confers Padma awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Padma awards on prominent personalities at a civil investiture ceremony in Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Finland boxing tournament
- Kavinder Singh Bisht in the 56kg-category struck gold while Shiva Thapa in the 60kg category, Govind Sahani, Mohammed Hussamuddin and Dinesh Dagar claimed silver medals; Sumit Sangwan, Sachin Siwach and Naveen Kumar got bronze in their categories. at the 38th GeeBee Boxing Tournament in Helsinki, Finland.
Indian Wells ATP Masters
- In tennis, Indian qualifier Prajnesh Gunneswaran achieved the biggest win of his career when he stunningly knocked world number 18 Nikoloz Basilashvili out of the Indian Wells ATP Masters event in the USA.