Daily Current Affairs – March 08 2019
March 8 – International Women’s Day
- International Women’s Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- Theme – ‘Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change’.
- The purpose of the theme is to achieve gender equality by putting innovation by women and girls, for women and girls, at the heart of efforts.
Mizoram Governor Kummanam Rajasekharan resigns
- Governor of Mizoram Kummanam Rajasekharan has resigned from his post. President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Prof. Jagdish Mukhi as the Governor of Mizoram, in addition to his own duties of Assam Governor, until regular arrangement for the office of the Governor of Mizoram is made.
Saudi Arabia criticized over human rights by 36 countries
- Thirty-six countries have signed an open letter criticising Saudi Arabia’s human rights record. The collective rebuke was signed by all countries in the European Union plus Australia, Canada, Norway, New Zealand, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Montenegro.
NATO Chief rules out nuclear missile deployment to Europe
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has ruled out deploying ground-based nuclear missiles to Europe. The agreement bans all ground-launched missiles, conventional or nuclear, with ranges of 310 to 3,400 miles.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
National Women Livelihood Meet -2019
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, attended the National Women Livelihood Meet-2019 held at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, on International Women’s Day.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu was addressing a National Seminar on procurement and marketing support to MSMEs and the launch of Womennnovators on the occasion of International Women’s Day in New Delhi.
- Ausaf Sayeed – New Ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia
- Padma Lakshmi – UNDP’s Goodwill Ambassador
India Cooling Action Plan
- India is one of the first countries in the world to develop a comprehensive Cooling Action plan which has a long term vision to address the cooling requirement across sectors and lists out actions which can help reduce the cooling demand. Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan released the India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP).
Star rating programme
- Star rating programme launched for Microwave Ovens and Washing Machines; expected to save over 3.0 Billion Units by 2030.
- National Energy Efficiency Strategy Plan 2031 – UNNATEE (Unlocking NATional Energy Efficiency potential) also launched.
“Menstrual Hygiene Management Program”
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), under the guidance of Ministry of Steel, has associated with district administration of Nuh in Haryana in an unique initiative under Corporate Social Responsibility for supporting the “Menstrual Hygiene Management Program”.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
New NCLT benches
- The Government has approved establishment of two new benches of National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), one at Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh and the other at Indore in Madhya Pradesh.
Mou between Ministry of WCD and Skill Development
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development and the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, entered into a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at improving women livelihood and empowering them through skill development.
Nari Shakti awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind will present the highest civilian honour for women in India, Nari Shakti Puraskar 2018 in New Delhi.
- 44 awardees have been selected for these Puraskar.
- This year, the Nari Shakti Puraskar has also been awarded to a One Stop Centre and to a state which has shown exceptional progress in improving child sex ratio at birth under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
Indian cricketers donate match fee to National Defence Fund
- As a mark of respect for the CRPF personnel who lost their lives in the Pulwama terrorist attack, the Indian cricketers Friday sported special Army caps during the third ODI against Australia in Ranchi and donated their match fee to the National Defence Fund.
2019 January Current Affairs Monthly Capsule
To Download 2019 Current Affairs January Quiz
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs
To Download 2018 Current Affairs Quiz PDF
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here