Current Affairs – June 9 and 10, 2018
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs Click Here
First Tulu novel ‘Sati Kamale’ translated into English
- The first Tulu novel Sati Kamale written about a century ago by S.U. Paniyady has now been translated into English by two former professors of Mangalore University. It was written in 1921 and published in 1936.
Solar power plant at BEL in Chennai
- Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated a 16 MW grid-connected solar power plant set up by Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) at Heavy Vehicle Factory (HVF) in Avadi.
Cuttack gets 2 CNG fuel stations
- Petroleum and natural gas minister Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated two Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) stations at CDA and Bidyadharpur.
British women celebrate 100 years of right to vote
- Thousands of women turned British cities into rivers of green, white and violet to mark 100 years since the first women won the right to vote in the U.K.
Non-permanent members of UNSC
- The UN General Assembly elected Belgium, the Dominican Republic, Germany, Indonesia and South Africa on Friday to serve as non-permanent members on the Security Council for two years starting in January.
NASA rover data shows Mars had organic compounds, methane
- Curiosity rover has detected organic compounds on the surface of Mars and seasonal fluctuations of atmospheric methane.
- About 95 % of the methane in Earth’s atmosphere is produced from biological activity, though the scientists said it is too soon to know if the Martian methane also is related to life.
Polyethylene plastic with antibacterial properties
- Silver nanoparticle-embedded plastics were found to have greater than 99% antibacterial activity against common bacterial pathogens like Escherchia coli and Staphylococcus aureus by the IIT Delhi team.
Merger between two sciences will enhance treatment options in India
- In a first, researchers from India will study the proteins and genes of cancer tumours simultaneously.
- The aim of the merger between the two promising sciences (proteomics and genomics) is to derive new medications as well as offer personalised cancer therapies.
- India became the 12th country to join the International Cancer Proteogenome Consortium (ICPC) of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), U.S.
New route to clean wastewater
- Self-propelling nanomotors, just 200 nanometre in size, could be used for wastewater management in chemical industries.
- Developed by researchers from Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata, and The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, the nanomotor can be used for transporting catalysts needed in harsh chemical environments and removing unwanted chemicals in water.
An ‘EPIC’ planet discovered by ISRO’s PRL scientists
- A team from the Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, has spotted for the first time a distant planet six times bigger than Earth and revolving around a Sun-like star about 600 light years away.
- Both the planet and the star have been named EPIC.
- The discovery was made using a PRL-designed spectrograph, PARAS, to measure and confirm the mass of the new planet.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Integrated food unit in Tamil Nadu soon by ITC
- ITC may unveil the first phase of its integrated food manufacturing and logistics facility at Pudukottai in Tamil Nadu by the second quarter of 2018-19. Products such as biscuits, atta, and noodles would be manufactured at this plant.
IKEA likely to open first India store in Hyderabad
- Swedish furniture major IKEA is likely to inaugurate its first Indian store in Hi tec city, Hyderabad on July 10.
ONGC Videsh’s first equity cargo comes to MRPL
- The first equity cargo of about 6,90,000 barrels of Das Blend crude oil of ONGC Videsh Ltd. (OVL) from Lower Zakum oilfield in Abu Dhabi arrived at New Mangalore Port.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Memorandum of Agreement for India’s first Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Battery project.
- Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI), Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu under Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) and RAASI Solar Power Pvt Ltd have signed a Memorandum of Agreement for transfer of technology for India’s first Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Battery project.
8 States & 4 Union Territories signed MoUs with the Union Health Ministry
- To implement the government’s ambitious national health protection mission Ayushman Bharat which aims to provide a cover of Rs.5 lakh per family annually to 10 crore vulnerable families.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Smoking cessation campaign
- At a World Health Organisation event held recently, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India launched a national media campaign to encourage smoking cessation.
Arunachal Rising Campaign
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu launched the Arunachal Rising Campaign with the objective to reach out to the people throughout the state targeting remote areas and make them aware of the government initiatives, policies and programmes.
Dhanush, ready for induction into Army
- India’s first indigenous, long-range artillery gun “Dhanush” has passed its final test at Pokhran, paving the way for its induction into the Army.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
National disaster risk index
- Maharashtra at the top of the chart followed by West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
- The index is currently in the form of a draft report prepared by the Union home ministry with support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Delhi most vulnerable UT in India
- Kamila Shamsie’s [Home Fire] – 2018 Women’s Prize for Fiction
- HR Khan – Non-executive chairman of Bandhan Bank
- Shri Sharad Kumar – Vigilance Commissioner
- Arvind Saxena – Acting UPSC chairman
NBA finals: Golden State Warriors beat Cleveland Cavaliers
- The Golden State Warriors became the NBA’s first back-to-back champion since 2013 beating Cleveland Cavaliers in Cleveland in the finals.
Women’s Asia Cup final
- Bangladesh women’s cricket team beat India to win their maiden Asia Cup trophy in Kuala Lumpur.
2018 French Open at Roland Garros
- Rafael Nadal beat Austrian Dominic Thiem to win a record-extending 11th French Open title.
- Simona Halep beats Sloane Stephens in French Open final, wins maiden Grand Slam.
Intercontinental Cup title
- India beat Kenya 2-0 to win the four-nation Intercontinental Cup.
To Download Pocket Current Affairs Click Here