Current Affairs – June 8, 2018
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs Click Here
June 8 – World Oceans Day
Theme – Preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean.
- World Oceans Day to raise awareness of the vital importance of our oceans and the role they play in sustaining a healthy planet.
- They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
Auto-disable syringes for all clinical purposes
- Andhra Pradesh would be the first state in the country to use auto-disable syringes for all clinical purposes, which will be enforced from the World Hepatitis Day on July 28 to prevent infection.
Sikkim gets its longest tunnel
- Minister of State for Defence Subhash Ramrao Bhamre inaugurated 578-metre-long Theng Tunnel, the longest in Sikkim.
- Constructed on Gangtok-Chungthang State Highway by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), the double-lane tunnel bypasses.
Osmansagar lake front project proposed
- Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority officials to prepare a detailed project report for the first phase of Osmansagar lake front development.
Ernakulam district striving for child labour-free tag
- The Labour Department has embarked on an ambitious year-long campaign to declare Ernakulam district child labour-free.
- The year-long campaign is being carried out in association with Childline, Child Welfare Committee (CWC), the police and other relevant departments.
West Bengal government to invest Rs.107 crore to check erosion
- The West Bengal government has decided to invest Rs.107 crore to check erosion at vulnerable areas along the banks of the Ganga and the Padma.
- The work will be completed by March 2019.
INOX partners with GDC for first ever DTS:X immersive sound technology in India
- INOX Leisure Ltd India’s leading multiplex chain has partnered with GDC Technology Ltd for getting India’s first ever innovative SX-4000 immersive sound media server with a built-in DTS:X decoder.
Indian farmer in UAE sets world record
- An Indian farmer, Sudheesh Guruvayoor from Kerala in the UAE has set a Guinness World Record by distributing the largest number (4,914) of organic curry tree saplings in Sharjah.
Indonesia wins UNSC vote
- The Maldives failed to get elected to the UN Security Council as a non-permanent member.
- Maldives and Indonesia had contested for a seat in the UNSC, but in the plenary session held at the UN headquarters in New York, Indonesia won the seat after securing 144 votes against 46 for the Maldives.
Severe uranium contamination in India’s groundwater
- Scientists have found widespread uranium contamination in groundwater from aquifers across 16 states in India, much above the WHO provisional standard for the country.
- The findings published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology Letters are the first to demonstrate the predominant prevalence of uranium in India’s groundwater.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Deocha-Pachami coal block to Bengal
- The Centre has handed over the Deocha-Pachami coal mines, said to be second largest coal block in the world, to the West Bengal government.
- The Chief Minister said the mining project would generate close to 1 lakh direct and indirect jobs in Birhum and the adjoining districts.
Moody’s Investors Service said India to stick to the fiscal deficit of 3.3% of GDP
- Moody’s Investors Service said it expects India to stick to the estimated fiscal deficit of 3.3 per cent of GDP and even cut capital expenditure to offset any slippage from the budgeted target.
FDI in India rises to $61.96 bn in 2017-18
- Foreign direct investment in India increased to $61.96 billion in 2017-18.
- FDI inflows stood at $60 billion in the previous fiscal.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Workshop on Skill Development in Port and Maritime Sector
- Ministry of Shipping in association with Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gramin Kaushal Yojana (DDU-GKY), Ministry of Rural Development conducted a one-day workshop on “Skill Development in the Port and Maritime Sector” in New Delhi.
- For Maritime Logistics, a Multi-skill Development Centre for Maritime Logistics is being set up in Uran near JNPT Mumbai.
- Rohan Bopanna – “Sports Icon of Year” award
- Tata Consultancy Service – Pega Partner Excellence Award 2018
- Tariq Premji – Wipro Enterprises as a non-executive director
- Sarita Nayyar – World Economic Forum (WEF) Managing Board
APP & WEBPORTAL
- Punjab-Business first portal-facilitate the industrialists for Regulatory Clearances and Fiscal Approvals, real time tracking of applications at common platform.
- NXP Semiconductors has partnered with Mastercard and Visa to launch the new mWallet 2GO, a white label wallet service developed on the NXP Secure Service 2GO Platform.
World record ODI score by NZ women
- New Zealand women’s cricket team posted the highest ever total in one-day cricket an incredible 490/4 against Ireland in the first ODI in Dublin.
To Download Pocket Current Affairs Click Here