Current Affairs – June 21, 2018
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs Click Here
June 21 – Fourth International Yoga Day
2018 theme – “Yoga for Peace”
- It’s a global event that takes place each year on June 21 and aims to raise awareness of the benefits of practicing yoga.
June 21 – World Music Day
- The Fête de la Musique, also known as Music Day, Make Music Day or World Music Day, is an annual music celebration that takes place on 21 June.
June 21 – Clean Air Day 2018
- This special day is held each year to help raise awareness for the problems of air pollution and the different ways that people can work towards making the air cleaner.
June 21 – World Giraffe Day
- The World Giraffe Day is meant to raise support, create awareness and provide a deeper understanding of the challenges that these animals face in the wild, the release added.
4th International Yoga Day
- 4th International Yoga Day held at the Forest Research Institute campus in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. Prime Minister performed Yoga with about 50,000 yoga enthusiasts and volunteers at the Forest Research Institute campus.
Kota in Guinness World Records for largest yoga session
- A Guinness World Record was created in Rajasthan’s Kota city, where more than 1.05 lakh people performed yoga to mark the 4th edition of International Yoga Day.
Kerala scraps plantation tax
- Government also decides to freeze the collection of Agricultural Income Tax (AIT) from the plantation sector.Kerala has decided to scrap the plantation tax in view of the crisis in the sector.
- Kerala is the only State in the country which levies the tax.
International Yoga Day Celebrations in Suriname
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, participated in the 4th International Yoga Day celebrations in Paramaribo, Suriname on June 21, 2018 along with the President, the Vice President of Suriname and other dignitaries.
- President of Suriname -Mr Desiré Delano Bouterse
- Vice President of Suriname – Mr Michael Ashwin Adhin
Inauguration of the Nature Cure Centre
- PM Modi address at the inauguration of the Nature Cure Centre in New York, USA via video conferencing.
Iran allows entry of women into stadium
- Tehran’s largest football stadium was to admit thousands of women together with men for the first time since the Islamic Revolution of 1979.
New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gave birth to a baby girl becoming only the second world leader to do so while in office.
Discovery of a Sub-Saturn like Planet
- Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad, discovered a sub-Saturn or super-neputune size planet around a Sun-like star. The planet will be known as EPIC 211945201b or K2-236b.
Koko, the gorilla dies at 46
- The Gorilla Foundation said that the 46-year-old western lowland gorilla named Koko died who knews sign language.
First ever inter-State re-introduction of tigers
- First time in the country’s conservation history T-2, a three-year-old tiger from the Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh introduced it to Odisha’s Satkosia Tiger Reserve, marking the first ever inter-State re-introduction of tigers.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
India & Tajikistan agreement
- India & Tajikistan agree to enhance mutual cooperation for sustainable water development.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
19th All India Conference of Directors of Finger Print Bureaux
- The two-day conference being organised in Hyderabad for the first time will deliberate on finger print identification systems and modernization of state finger print bureaux among other issues.
Guidelines for Selection of Teachers for National Awards
- The Ministry of HRD has issued fresh guidelines for Selection of Teachers for National Awards. This is a new initiative, as earlier entries were selected by the State Government.
- The projection is to make Andhra Pradesh No.1 in the country in athletics by 2021, bag medals in Asian and Commonwealth games in 2022, compete in the Olympics in 2024 and secure medals in the year 2028.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
TCS ranks among top 100 brands in U.S.
- 58th rank – Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS)
Global refugee count highest ever in 2017: UN report
- The number of refugees worldwide registered an annual increase of 13% to reach 25.4 million in 2017, the highest known total to date, according to a UNHCR report.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- ‘Compendium of Finger Print equipment – 2018’ & ‘Award of excellence in identification’ released by The Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir.
- Prime Minister’s Award – Vishwas Mandlik of Nashik and The Yoga Institute in Mumbai (for outstanding contribution to promotion and development of yoga)
India Smart Cities Award – 2018
- Surat Smart City – ‘City Award’
- Bhopal and Ahmedabad – ‘Innovative Idea’ Award
- Atul Gawande – CEO of health firm jointly formed by Amazon, Buffett, JPMorgan
APP & WEBPORTAL
- The Uzhavan mobile app, launched by the Tamil Nadu Agriculture Department provides information on the government’s schemes on subsidy and crop insurance, the status of seed and fertilizer stock, market price, position of reservoirs and the weather forecast.
- Punjab State Government has launched a mobile application ‘i-Hariyali’ to order free plant saplings.
Ulaanbaatar Cup boxing
- Sonia Lather (57k) and Lovlina Borgohain (69kg) in the women’s category and Himnshu Sharma (49kg) and Ashish (64kg) in the men’s section made the semifinals at the Ulaanbaatar Cup boxing in Mongolia.
To Download Pocket Current Affairs Click Here