Daily Current Affairs – July 17 2018
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs Click Here
- Telangana set for the launch of fourth phase of Haritha Haram in the district on July 21. 2 lakh saplings to be planted in a single day.
City police to groom children as ambassadors of traffic rules
- The police in Mysuru have embarked upon a new project to groom schoolchildren as ambassadors of traffic rules by renovating the Traffic Children’s Park on Mirza Road in Nazarbad and launching the ‘Awareness Through Little Hearts’ programme.
After 150 years, a fish gets a scientific name
- The species, found in the Cauvery river, was recently christened Tor ramadevii, after noted ichthyologist K. Remadevi of the Zoological Survey of India.
Committee set up to synergise NCC and NSS
- Government has decided to set up a committee under the Chairmanship of Shri Anil Swarup, former Secretary, School Education to strengthen National Cadet Corps (NCC) and National Service Scheme (NSS).
Counter-drone strategy for airports ready
- The counter-drone plan prepared by a committee headed by Director General of BCAS (Bureau of Civil Aviation Security) Kumar Rajesh Chandra has proposed neutralising drones through a “soft kill” approach which will include entrapping or jamming drones instead of destroying them.
Railways to get first dedicated corridor for freight trains on August 15
- The 190-km railway line will be between Dadri in Uttar Pradesh and Phulera in Rajasthan, which fall under the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC).
EU, Japan sign major trade deal
- Japan and the EU signed a sweeping free trade deal sending a “clear message” against protectionism, as Washington puts up barriers and threatens a trade war.
Google celebrated the 124th birth anniversary of Georges Lemaitre
- Google Doodle celebrated the 124th birth anniversary of Belgian astronomer Georges Lemaitre, the founder of the Big Bang theory.
World’s First Remotely Operable Microscope
- IIT Madras Unveils World’s First Remotely Operable Microscope Worth Rs 40 Crore. The Atom Probe Microscopes are a kind of 3D microscopes which reconstruct the structure of an object atom-by-atom.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt. doubles duty on over 50 textile items
- The government has doubled import duty on more than 50 textile products such as jackets, suits and carpets to 20%, a move that is aimed at promoting domestic manufacturing.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
The 2018 ‘Soft Power 30’ index annual global ranking
- 1) UK 2) France 3) Germany
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Raising towards Excellence – A two day Conference of Heads of AYUSH National Institutes
- Raising towards Excellence – A two day Conference of Heads of AYUSH National Institutes organized by All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) inaugurated by The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik at New Delhi.
Review Meeting in Guwahati on Development of Agri-Horticulture sector of Assam
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare ShriRadha Mohan Singh to held a meeting at Administrative Staff College, Guwahati to review the development of Agri-Horticulture sector in Assam.
All Party Leaders Meeting
- Government holds All Party Leaders Meeting ahead of Monsoon Session 2018 of Parliament.
National Conference of State/UT Ministers-in-charge of Women & Child development
- A high level National Conference of State/UT Ministers-in-charge of Women & Child development held in New Delhi with focus on women and child safety. The meeting was chaired by the Union Minister of Women and Child development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
Amendments Proposed to Central Motor Vehicles Rules
- Fastags and Vehicle Tracking System to be Made Mandatory for All National Permit Commercial Vehicles. Driving License and Other Certificates to be allowed in Digital form. No Fitness Certificate Required for Registering New Vehicles.
Steel CPSE Employees Pension Scheme Announced
- Ministry of Steel has agreed to the proposal received from various CPSEs under its control to introduce the pension scheme with effect from 1stJanuary 2007 in case of executives and 1stJanuary 2012 in case of non-executives or from a subsequent date as decided by the company.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
MoU signed between AIIA and IIT Delhi
- Signing of a MoU between All India Institute of Ayurveda and Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
Republic of Singapore Navy Visits INS Teg at Djibouti
- A delegation led by the Commander Combined Task Force (CTF 151), Rear Admiral Saw Shi Tat, Republic of Singapore Navy, visited INS Teg (presently berthed at Djibouti harbour) on 16 Jul 18.
APP & WEBPORTAL
- The Chittoor district police have devised a new strategy to tackle rowdy-sheeters by bringing them under the ambit of the unique Parivartana App.
To Download Pocket Current Affairs Click Here