Daily Current Affairs – January 9, 2019
Polavaram enters Guinness Book of Records
- Polavaram project-the life line of Andhra Pradesh, the concrete works of spill channel successfully entered Guinness Book of World Records by completing 32,315.5 Cubic meter of concrete works in a span of 24 hours.
- The Polavaram project also broke the earlier records for largest and continuous concrete pouring.
First Swadesh Darshan project
- The Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Shri. Conrad K Sangma, inaugurated the project “Development of North East Circuit: Umiam (Lake View) – U Lum Sohpetbneng- Mawdiangdiang – Orchid Lake Resort” implemented under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism.
- 8% growth in Domestic Tourist Visits to North Eastern region in 2017
Delhi HC refuses to vacate stay on online sale of medicines
- The Delhi High Court refused to vacate the stay on sale of drugs and prescription medicines by online pharmacies.
5-judge bench to hear Ayodhya land dispute case
- The Supreme Court has set up a five-judge Constitution Bench to hear the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land title dispute case. The bench would be headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi.
NASA’s probe discovers a new planet
- NASA’s latest planet-hunting probe has discovered a new world outside our solar system, orbiting a dwarf star 53 light years away.
- This is the third new planet confirmed by the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) since its launch in April last year.
Recombinant ELISA kits
- Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Shri Radha Mohan Singh today released recombinant Enzyme-linked immune sorbent assay (ELISA) kits: one for Glanders and other for Equine Infectious Anaemia.
IIT Madras team produces gas hydrates under ‘space’ conditions
- Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras have experimentally shown that methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) can exist as gas hydrates at temperatures and pressures seen in interstellar atmosphere.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
World Economic Forum Report
- A report by World Economic Forum today said that India is set to become the world’s third largest consumer market behind only USA and China by 2030.
- The report titled ‘Future of Consumption in Fast-Growth Consumer Market – India’ also noted that growth of the middle class will lift nearly 25 million households out of poverty.
ICC Test Batsmen rankings
- Virat Kohli 3) Cheteshwar Pujara 17) Rishabh Pant [joint-highest by a specialist India wicketkeeper along with Farokh Engineer]
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Workshop On Public Sector Enterprises
- A One Day Workshop on Public Sector Enterprises on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) was held under the aegis of the National Water Mission (NWM), in partnership with the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) at New Delhi.
- The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Shri Arun Jaitley launched the induction of 15 Electric Vehicles in the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance in New Delhi.
- Ministry of Finance adopts E-Mobility Programme.
- Department is expected to save over 36,000 Litres of fuel every year besides leading to reduction of over 440 tonnes of CO2 annually.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Rajya Sabha discusses 124th Constitution Amendment Bill
- The Rajya Sabha is currently holding a discussion on the Constitution (124th Amendment) Bill, 2019 to provide for ten per cent reservation in government jobs and admission in higher educational institutions to economically backward people among upper castes.
Agreement between India and Norway
- India and Norway have agreed to closely collaborate on ocean economy and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. The two countries also signed a MoU for holding an India-Norway Ocean Dialogue.
APP & WEBPORTAL
“Web- Wonder Women” Campaign
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India, has launched an online campaign, ‘#www : Web- WonderWomen’.
- The Campaign aims to discover and celebrate the exceptional achievements of women, who have been driving positive agenda of social change via social media.
Egypt to host 2019 Africa Cup of Nations
- Egypt will host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Football. Egypt hosting the African football for the fifth time.