Daily Current Affairs – January 24 2019
January 24 – International Day of Education
- International Day of Education is celebrated every year on January 24. The right to education is enshrined in article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The declaration calls for free and compulsory elementary education.
January 24 – National Girl Child Day
- National Girl Child Day is being observed. The theme this year is ‘Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow’.
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has organised an event in Delhi to observe the anniversary of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ scheme.
Inauguration of the third bridge over the Mandovi river
- Union minister of road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari will inaugurate the third bridge over the Mandovi river in Panaji on January 27.
Jammu & Kashmir
Winter Carnival commences
- The Winter Carnival has commenced at Drass, the second coldest inhabited place in the world. Various sports events such as Ice Skating, Snow Ski, Polo, and Archery will also be held.
I&B Ministry to facilitate Jharkhand International Film Festival
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry will facilitate Jharkhand International Film Festival, 2019 through Directorate of Film Festivals. The festival will be organised in Ranchi from 1st to 3rd of next month with a view to promote and showcase the Best of Indian cinema.
2-Day Global Investors Summit
- The two-day Global Investors Summit, being organised by Tamil Nadu government, is underway in Chennai.
- It is being participated by about five thousand delegates from industries in India and abroad.
69th foundation day
- Uttar Pradesh is celebrating it’s 69th foundation day. To celebrate the occasion the main function was organised at Awadh Shilp Gram in Lucknow.
UN chief warns, world is “losing the race” on climate change
- United Nations chief Antonio Guterres warned that the world is “losing the race” on climate change and demanded that governments make bolder commitments beyond the Paris accord.
Venezuela announces breaking off diplomatic ties with US
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has announced that he is breaking off diplomatic ties with the United States after his American counterpart Donald Trump recognised Opposition leader Juan Guaido as the South American country’s interim President.
- Mr Maduro gave all US diplomatic staff in Venezuela 72 hours to leave the country.
Kamala Harris raises over 1 Million USD within 24 hrs
- In the United States, Kamala Harris, the first Indian-origin Senator, has raised a whopping more than 1 million US Dollar funds within 24 hours after announcing her Presidential bid for 2020.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
National conference on Agriculture-Zaid/summer campaign 2019
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ welfare today organised a national conference on Agriculture-Zaid/summer campaign 2019 in New Delhi. The objective of the conference was to discuss about the prospects of boosting production in the upcoming Zaid/summer cropping season.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Railways Minister Piyush Goyal given additional charge of Finance Ministry
- Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal has been assigned to temporarily hold the portfolios of Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs during the period of the indisposition of Arun Jaitley.
- Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned the new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’ at Diglipur in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award – Girish Pant, Surender Singh Kandhari and Dr Zulekha Daud [Three Indian expats from the UAE]
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy – Virat Kohli
- Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Rishabh Pant
- Umpire of the Year – Sri Lanka’s Kumar Dharmasena
- Spirit of Cricket award – New Zealand cricketer Kane Williamson
Indonesia Masters Badminton
- PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth reached the quarter-finals at the Indonesia Masters Badminton in Jakarta.
Australian Open Tennis
- Petra Kvitova from Czech Republic and Naomi Osaka from Japan have reached the Women Singles Grand Slam finals.
India Vs New Zealand ODI series
- India crushed New Zealand by 8 wickets in the first ODI in Napier to lead the 5 match series 1-0.
India Vs New Zealand Women ODI series
- Indian Women’s team thrashed New Zealand by nine wickets in the first One-day International at Napier.
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs
To Download 2018 Current Affairs Quiz PDF
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here
For Telegram Channel Click Here