Daily Current Affairs – January 12, 2019
January 12 – National Youth Day
- Every year, January 12 is celebrated as National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas) across the country with great pomp and fervour. In 1984, the government said that “the philosophy of Swamiji and the ideals for which he lived and worked could be a great source of inspiration for the Indian youth” and since then, Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary is being celebrated as National Youth Day.
- National Youth Day will be celebrated here with the theme ‘Channelizing Youth Power for Nation Building‘.
JAMMU & KASHMIR
4.6-magnitude earthquake hits Ladakh region
- A 4.6-magnitude earthquake hit Jammu and Kashmir’s Ladakh region. Officials of the Disaster Management Department said the quake occurred at 8:22 am with its epicentre 63 km north of Leh and 193 km east of Kargil in Ladakh region.
National Youth Parliament Festival 2019
- Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd) launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019. It is to provide a chance to the youth to brainstorm about new India and to find ways and chalk out plans to realize our resolves before 2022.
- National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 is organised on the theme of “Be The Voice of New India” and “Find solutions and contribute to policy”.
6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the three-day 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ from January 12, at Leisure Valley, Sector-10, Chandigarh, to celebrate and promote women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India. The Women of India Organic Festival has been held annually in New Delhi since 2015.
Tulsi Gabbard announces 2020 presidential run to take on Trump
- Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu lawmaker in the US Congress, has said that she is running for the White House in 2020. Ms. Gabbard is the second woman after Senator Elizabeth Warren to enter the presidential race from the Democratic party.
California sea lions killed to protect migrating fish
- Four sea lions were euthanised in the last month as part of a program to protect salmon runs and steelhead trout that are at risk of going extinct.
US partial govt shutdown becomes longest on record
- The partial shutdown of the US government has become the longest on record, with still no end in sight to the political standoff.It reaches its 22nd day, overtaking the previous record – the 21-day shutdown in 1995-96 under then-President Bill Clinton.
First manned mission to space by December 2021: ISRO
- ISRO today said that it is well prepared to meet the targets of launching Gaganyaan manned mission to outer space by December 2021. For Gaganyaan project, India is planning to send three astronauts to outer space for seven days and bring them back.
- GSAT-20 Satellite for high bandwidth connectivity to be launched in September-October. ISRO is also conceiving a mission to Venus by 2023, the Chairman said. He also said that Indian land up and rover will study south-pole of the moon for the first time under Chandrayaan- 2 mission..
PSLV-C44 to lift-off with added features
- The upcoming PSLV-C44 mission will see a new variant of the PSLV in use. This variant, tagged PSLV-DL, will be the first to sport two strap-on boosters for providing added thrust.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2018-19 (Series V) from 14th to 18th January
- The Government of India in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India has decided to allow discount of Rs. 50 (Rupees Fifty only) per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply online and the payment is made through digital mode. For such investors, the issue price of Gold Bond will be Rs. 3,164 (Rupees Three Thousand One Hundred Sixty Four only) per gram of gold.
Ashok Chawla resigns as chairman of National Stock Exchange
- National Stock Exchange today said Ashok Chawla has resigned as chairman with immediate effect in light of recent legal developments.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Vibrant Gujarat Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 9th edition of the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit on January 18, in the presence of five heads of states and also over one hundred diplomats and captains of the country’s industries.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Centre, six states sign agreement for Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project
- An agreement for Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project was signed in New Delhi among the States of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand in the presence of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- Under the agreement, three storage projects are proposed to be constructed on the river Yamuna and two of its tributaries – Tons and Giri in the hilly regions of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
Honorary Rank of General of The Indian Army on General Purna Chandra Thapa
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, conferred the Honorary Rank of General of the Indian Army on Sukirtimaya Rashtradeep General Purna Chandra Thapa, Chief of the Army Staff, Nepalese Army, for his commendable military prowess and immeasurable contribution to fostering Nepal’s long and friendly association with India, at a special Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on January 12.
Dhoni joins elite list of Indian cricketers to score ten thousand runs
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the fifth player to score ten thousand runs for India in One-day International Cricket.
- Dhoni thus joined an elite list of Indian cricketers who had previously achieved the feat, which include Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Virat Kohli.
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs
To Download 2018 Current Affairs Quiz PDF
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here
For Telegram Channel Click Here