PM to inaugurate DefExpo on April 12
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Defence Expo 2018 on April 12 to be held at Tiruvidandai near Mahabalipuram from April 11-14.
25-km wall along Adyar
- The Chennai Corporation and other line agencies have planned to build a wall over a length of 24.67 km along the banks of the Adyar. Hundreds of encroachments along the river will be demolished for the ecorestoration project.
Audit Attappady schemes, orders HC
- The Kerala High Court on April 5 asked the Palakkad District Legal Services Authority (DLSA) to conduct an audit of the various welfare schemes being implemented by the government for tribespeople at Attappady.
52 college students contract jaundice
- Fifty-two students of Thrissur Government Engineering College are down with jaundice, it has been confirmed. This is the second such incidence in the past five months. The college was closed indefinitely in November after many students were infected with jaundice.
Taekwondo champ sets Guinness World Records
- Vemuri V.S. Prasad (49) is Hyderabadi who has developed a fascination for Guiness World Records in taekwondo. This Senior Intelligence Officer in the Directorate of GST Intelligence (DGGI, Hyderabad) has set two new world records this year, which were ratified recently. He holds the record for most full contact elbow strikes in one minute (176) and most full contact knee strikes in three minutes (180).
Uddeepana scheme: marked change in govt. school sanitation
- The schools were selected from the 100 schools covered under the Uddeepana scheme, a community-based initiative to strengthen public education system in the Nakirekal constituency. NIRD study shows the scheme has influenced both students and teachers
More powers to Collectors
- To solve the problems faced by people with regard to the prohibitory list of Section 22A of the Registration Act, the State government would empower the District Collectors to take decisions on the properties entered in the prohibitory list.
- VITEEE-2018, the entrance exams for students seeking admission in engineering courses in the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), started in the institute’s Amaravati campus.
Two MPs in foreign affairs panel retire
- Dr. Devi Prasad Tripathi and Dr. Karan Singh are known for their rich understanding of foreign affairs and command an impressive social network among the South Asian neighbourhood and in global capitals.
Over 5 lakh Indian users’ data may have been ‘improperly’ shared with Cambridge Analytica, says Facebook
- Facebook has said that data of nearly 5.6 lakh Indian users may have been “improperly” shared with British political analytics company Cambridge Analytica (CA).
Will resign but won’t endorse martial law, says Pakistani chief justice
- Pakistan’s Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar on April 5 dismissed rumours of the possibility of a “martial law” being imposed in the country and said he will resign but never endorse such a move.
6.2-earthquake strikes off Mindanao in Philippines
RBI holds rates; cuts inflation forecast
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) kept interest rates unchanged in the first policy meeting of 2018-19, as expected, but surprised markets with a dovish tone that some interpreted as opening up the possibility of a rate cut, even as early as September.
IndiGo pulls out of race for Air India
- The airline said in a statement on April 5 that it was primarily interested in acquiring Air India’s international operations but that option was not available after the Centre released the expression of interest document last week for the stake sale in the national carrier.
Rupee surges 15 paise against dollar in early trade
Horton ends Australia’s long wait for 400 freestyle champion
- Olympic champion Mack Horton ended a 16-year drought for Australia in the men’s 400 metres freestyle at the Commonwealth Games when he won the host nation’s first title in the pool at the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre on April 5.
Record-breaking Chanu wins India’s first gold medal at CWG
- World champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu (48kg) went on a record-smashing spree, claiming three of them in a power-packed performance, to secure India’s first gold medal at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, on April 5.
Lifter Gururaja wins India’s first medal at CWG 2018
- Weightlifter Gururaja Poojary opened India’s medal tally on the first day of competition at the 21st Commonwealth Games, claiming silver in the men’s 56 kg category, on April 5.