11 colleges from south T.N. in top 100
- Eleven arts and science colleges from south Tamil Nadu have found a place in the top 100 of the National Institutional Ranking Framework rankings announced. Two universities – Alagappa University, Karaikudi (43), and Madurai Kamaraj University (81) – and Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai (95), are in the top 100 in overall ranking among 957 institutions.
Anti-Sterlite protest in 16 U.S. cities
- Anti-Sterlite protests have started sweeping across the United States of America, with the Tamil diaspora coming out strongly in support of the people of Thoothukudi. Using social media tools, a group of dedicated volunteers organised the protests in 16 different cities.
IIT-M tops in engineering education
- The Indian Institute of Technology – Madras continues to be the best educational institution for engineering in the country. NIRF ranks Presidency 5th among colleges nationwide; Anna University improves position.
Water supply once in four days from April 9
- To overcome water shortage in the city, the Madurai Corporation has decided to limit supply to once in four days from April 9. In some wards, water will be supplied as early as 2:30 a.m.
Divya S. Iyer transferred to Local Self-Govt dept
Oil price relief hingeson coffers, says Isaac
- The government will relinquish the additional revenue from oil price hike only when the State’s financial position improves, Finance Minister T.M. Thomas Isaac has said.
Swaraj India releases first list of six candidates
- The Karnataka unit of Swaraj India released its first list of six candidates for the May 12 Assembly polls.
Supreme Court former judge to launch water awareness campaign
- V. Gopala Gowda, retired judge of the Supreme Court, will launch a campaign on the water problem faced by the people in the Bayaluseeme districts of central Karnataka region.
ConsenSys to launch blockchain training course in Vizag in June
- Founding Managing Partner of ConsenSys Kavita Gupta told that as part of the ConsenSys India Developer Programme, its first edition of Indian educational initiative, some leading developers working on Ethereum, an open-source blockchain-based distributed computing platform, would teach this course, enabling the participants to become proficient solidity coders.
SVU ties up with Maharishi Vedic University
- Sri Venkateswara University has announced to offer a course in stress nanagement in association with Maharishi Vedic University, Iowa, USA
India third most vulnerable country to cyber threats
- India emerged as the third most vulnerable country in terms of risk of cyber threats, such as malware, spam and ransomware, in 2017, moving up one place over previous year, according to a report by security solutions provider Symantec.
SC dismisses petitions challenging reconducting of CBSE class 10, 12 exams
India-Russia to bolster defence ties
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her Russian counterpart General Sergey Shoygu held a bilateral meeting in Moscow to discuss ways to reinforce defence cooperation between the two sides.
India, Japan, U.S. stress keeping sea lanes open
- “The officials reviewed the outcomes of the Trilateral Infrastructure Working Group that met in Washington in February and agreed to continue to collaborate to promote increased connectivity in the Indo-Pacific,” the press release said
Nepal PM Oli’s visit will chart the course for future ties
- Keeping with the tradition in India-Nepal ties, Prime Minister Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli will visit India first after taking over. He lands in New Delhi. Officials and experts say New Delhi should expect a tougher stand from Mr. Oli, who is armed with a massive election mandate, winning his confidence vote with a 4/5th majority, and has taken new administrative powers in the past few weeks.
Man Booker reverts author’s nationality
- The Man Booker International Prize has reversed a move to change a Taiwanese author’s nationality to “Taiwan, China”, after the literary award was criticized for bowing to pressure from Beijing.
India pips Japan to become second largest crude steel manufacturer
- India has overtaken Japan to become the world’s second largest producer of crude steel in February, according to the Steel Users Federation of India (SUFI). At present, China is the largest producer of crude steel in the world, accounting for more than 50% of the production.
Jet to add 75 more Boeing 737s
CWG Opening Ceremony
- Australia celebrated its ancestry and native traditions in a soul-stirring Commonwealth Games opening ceremony but protests by indigenous aboriginals against the very idea of Commonwealth came as a poignant reminder of the unforgotten colonial brutalities.
First medal of CWG goes to Aussie boxer without a punch thrown
- Australian boxer Taylah Robertson has secured the first medal of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games – nine days before her first bout. The 19-year-old from Queensland state’s Sunshine Coast is guaranteed at least a bronze in the women’s 51-kg division after receiving a free pass to the semi-finals.