India-Korea coast guard ships in Chennai coast for joint exercise
- Korea Coast Guard and India Coast Guard are at joint search and rescue excerise and friendly visits to the ports as part of efforts to strength the bilateral ties. A Korea Coast Guard training ship Badaro reached Chennai on april 2to take part in a joint exercise – Sahyog –Hyeoblyeog 2018 – which will be held on April 5.
Awards for marine debris images
- The Marine Biological Association of India (MBAI) will give away awards for the best photographs and short videos featuring marine and estuarine debris in an conference being hosted by the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute,which is aimed at drawing an action plan to control marine debris, which is one of the biggest threats to the aquatic ecosystem.The conference, to be held on April 11 and 12
Pinarayi will inaugurate Linac facility at GH on April 5
- Chief Minister PinarayiVijayan will inaugurate the newly installed Linear Accelerator (Linac) facility, work on the cancer block. The Linear Accelerator facility, set up at a cost of Rs. 13.7 crore, will help in enhancing the efficiency of radiation therapy, as high-energy doses can be targeted at deep-seated tumours with minimal damage to surrounding tissues.
New plant species in Western Ghats
- Grass-like plant, discovered in Ponmudi, in western ghatshas been named Fimbristylisagasthyamalaensis.Researchersfrom the University College have reported the discovery of a new plant species from the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot. It was classified as a sedge, the grass-like plant has been named Fimbristylisagasthyamalaensis, after the locality from which it was found.
Hackathon 2018 Launched in Andhra: gives instant results
- Hackathon – 2018, a mass awareness programme by the police to tackle crime against women is reaching every nook and corner of Chittoor district. Launched on March 8, the programme’s 30 campaign vehicles (prachararathams) could visit as many as 2,200 villages in 500 panchayats by April 2.
Dams to be built on Howrah river
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb on april 2 instructed authorities to build dams on the Howrah river for a permanent solution to water stagnation in Agartala during the rainy season. Two dams, mooted in the surroundings of Baramura hills, 25 km east of here, would be completed in two years.
Union HRD Minister ShriPrakashJavadekar Releases ‘NIRF India Rankings 2018’ for Higher Education Institutions
- The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, ShriPrakashJavadekar, released the NIRFIndia Rankings 2018 in various categories on the basis of performance of Higher Educational Institutions in a programme held in New Delhi.
To know the list of rankings click here
AFSPA extended in Arunachalpradesh for 6 months
- The Centre on April 2nd extended the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, (AFSPA) in three districts of Arunachal Pradesh and eight police station areas bordering Assam by another six months. Tirap, Changlang and Longding districts of Arunachal Pradesh and eight police stations bordering Assam were declared “disturbed” areas under the AFSPA.It gives security personnel the power to search premises and arrest without warrant, to use force even to the extent of causing death.
Malaysia passes anti-fake bill
- Malaysia’s government passed a law in Parliament that makes “fake news” punishable with a maximum six-year jail term. The legislation also carries a fine of RM500,000 (S$170,000), was voted through in Parliament’s Lower House with 123 votes for and 64 votes against after the Bill’s second reading.
Science and Technology
NASA completes successfully the test launch of Mars landing parachute
- A supersonic parachute, which will help NASA missions to land on Mars, was successfully launched into the sky during a key test designed to mimic the conditions of entering the red planet.
Suresh Prabhu Launches Digital Initiative for Ease of Export
- Union Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation Minister, Suresh Prabhu today launched digital initiatives by Export Inspection Council (EIC) for ease of export at New Delhi.India’s potential for agricultural and food export will get a great boost due to these digital initiatives.
RBI eases provisioning norms for bond losses
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to ease the provisioning norms for bond losses for third and fourth quarters of 2017-18.It has now allowed banks to spread bond losses, incurred in these two quarters, over four quarters.
- DebjaniGhosh, former managing director of Intel South Asia, is the new president of Nasscom.
South Africa closes in on victory
- South Africa won on the fourth day of the fourth Test against Australia at the Wanderers Stadium.With all three of South Africa’s fast bowlers carrying injuries, it was Morkel, with what had seemed the most significant injury, who made the biggest impact.
Pakistan wins series
- Pakistan defeated West Indies by 82 runs in the second Twenty20 International here on April 2, winning the three-match series.