Daily Current Affairs – August 2 2018
World Breastfeeding Week (August 1 to 7)
- World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 1 to 7 August to encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world.
Congress passes National Defence Authorisation Act 2019 capping U.S. aid to Pakistan
- The United States Congress has passed the National Defense Authorisation Act-2019 (NDAA-19) which capped its security-related aid to Pakistan to $150 million.
Google plans censored version of search engine in China
- Alphabet Inc’s Google is planning a censored version of its search engine for China that will block websites and certain search terms. The project is a code named “Dragonfly”.
New gates at Attari-Wagah border soon
- India and Pakistan are set to install new gates at the Attari-Wagah border, where people from both sides throng every evening to watch the lowering of the national flags.
Everyday plastics emit greenhouse gases
- Plastic used in everyday objects from bottles to packaging emit greenhouse gases when exposed to sunlight, according to a study released.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
List of countries with early initiation of breastfeeding a new report released by UNICEF and the World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Sri Lanka 2) Vanuatu 3) Burundi 4) Kazakhstan
- India ranks 56th among the 76 countries that were analysed.
- Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Power have joined hands under the initiative SAATHI(Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries) in order to sustain and accelerate the adoption of energy efficient textile technologies in the powerloom sector and cost savings due to use of such technology.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Environment & Skill Development Ministries Sign MoU
- MoU Signed between Environment & Skill Development Ministries which jointly undertake upskilling and certification of 100,000 RAC service technicians on good servicing practices and knowledge of alternative refrigerants to ozone-depleting chemicals.
NHAI to Sign MoU with SBI
- NHAI to Sign MoU with SBI for a Long Term, unsecured Loan of Rs 25,000 Crore. This is SBI’s Highest Long Term Unsecured Loan to any Entity.
Statutory status for BCs panel
- The Lok Sabha unanimously passed the 123rd Constitutional Amendment Bill providing for a National Commission for Backward Classes as a constitutional body.
Ballistic Missile Interceptor AAD Successfully Flight Tested
- DRDO conducted the successful test of the Ballistic Missile Interceptor Advanced Area Defence (AAD) the endo-atmospheric missile, capable of intercepting incoming targets at an altitude of 15 to 25 kms.
- Akshay Venkatesh [Indian-Australian mathematician], Caucher Birkar, Peter Scholze, Alessio Figalli – Fields medal, known as the Nobel prize for math.
- South Africa beat Sri Lanka in the 2nd ODI and takes a 2-0 lead in the five-match series.