Daily Current Affairs – August 11,12 2018
August 12 – International Youth Day
- International Youth Day is an awareness day designated by the United Nations. The purpose of the day is to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth. The first IYD was observed on 12 August, 2000.
India’s First tribal Language to have Wikipedia Edition in Own Script
- Santhali (Santali), a tribal language primarily spoken in India, Bangladesh and Nepal, received global recognition when it got a Wikipedia edition in its own script.
Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicated India’s only facility for conservation of endangered species
- The Laboratory for the Conservation of Endangered Species (LaCONES), a dedicated facility of CSIR’s Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad uses modern biotechnologies for conservation of endangered wildlife.
Israel Opens Visa Application Centre in Kolkata
- In an effort to encourage more Indian travellers to visit Israel, the Embassy of Israel in India has opened a Kolkata Israel Visa Application Centre for West Bengal and North Eastern states.
Indonesian island lifted 10 inches by deadly quake
- Scientists say the powerful Indonesian earthquake that killed more than 300 people lifted the island it struck by as much as 25 centimeters (10 inches).
World’s first mission to touch the Sun lifts off
- NASA’s Parker Solar Probe, mankind’s first mission to ‘touch’ the Sun will perform the closest-ever observations of the Sun’s outer atmosphere, called the corona.
CSIR’s new patented Clot buster
- A new Clot buster, PEGylated Streptokinase – a Novel Biological Entity developed by Dr. Girish Sahni, DSIR and his team of inventors at CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH), Chandigarh is all set to revolutionize the treatment of ischemic strokes.
Indian telescope spots distant radio galaxy
- Astronomers have used an Indian telescope Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) in Pune to discover the most distant radio galaxy ever known, located at a distance of 12 billion light-years.
IGIB team finds a new target to reverse iron overload disease
- Using zebrafish, researchers at the Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) have successfully discovered a pathway that regulates hepcidin hormone production. The hepcidin hormone, released by the liver, is a central regulator of iron in the body.
ISRO to celebrate Sarabhai centenary, launch TV channel
- The Indian Space Research Organisation will have a year-long Vikram Sarabhai centenary celebration starting in August 2019 to honour visionary scientist. It plans to roll out a dedicated ISRO TV channel. Jammu, Agartala to get Space Research Technology Centres
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Meet on musculoskeletal radiology
- The International Skeletal Society (ISS) reached out to 45 young radiologists from across the country to build interest in them to take up musculoskeletal sub-specialisation.
- Senior lawyer B.S. Prasad – New Telangana Attorney General
- Film-maker Shaji N. Karun – General secretary of the Purogamana Kalasahitya Sangham
- Justice MR Shah – New Chief Justice of Patna High Court
- Rekha Sharma – Chairperson of the National Commission for Women
- Justice Rajendra Menon – Chief Justice of Delhi High Court
- Gita Mittal – First woman chief justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court
Eighth International HALF (Haiku Amateur Little Film) Festival
- Krishnanunni – fourth Insight award for lifetime achievement
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- Bebak Baat book – Vijay Goel [Union MoS Parliamentary Affairs and Statistics and Programme Implementation]
APP & WEBPORTAL
India Science Technology and Innovation portal
- The Union science ministry’s communication wing, Vigyan Prasar, has launched the India Science Technology and Innovation portal for information about the organisations carrying out research, those funding them.
Youngest Indian to win an Asian Golf Tour title
- Viraj Madappa, the 20-year-old becomes the youngest Indian to win an Asian Golf Tour title.
Vietnam Open badminton championship
- Indian shuttler Ajay Jayaram finishes runner-up at the Vietnam Open after losing the final to Shesar Hiren Rhustavito of Indonesia in Ho Chi Minh City.
Gerard Pique confirms retirement
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique confirmed that he has retired from Spain’s football national team.
Shooting World Cup in 2020
- New Delhi to host shooting World Cup in 2020
Paris Gay Games
- The Gay Games which are under way in Paris are not just a chance to celebrate sport and diversity: they offer crucial respite to gay athletes forced to hide their sexuality in their home countries.
ITF men’s Futures tennis tournament
- Niki Poonacha beat Michael Look of Australia in the final of the $25,000 ITF men’s Futures tennis tournament in Indonesia.
Anderson scores a century
- England pace bowler James Anderson became the first man to take 100 Test wickets at Lord’s. Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, the world’s leading Test wicket-taker, is the only other bowler to capture 100 wickets at a single venue.