Tamil Nadu :
Balachandran new V-C of Tanuvas
- C. Balachandran, an eminent veterinary pathologist, has been appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of the Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (Tanuvas). He will hold the post for three years from the date of his assumption of office
Most T.N. farmers received insurance claims under Centre’s scheme: study
- The paper, published by the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) last month, stated that “most of the farmers in Tamil Nadu received claims for their crop damage caused by drought in that season [rabi 2016-17].
Film director C.V. Rajendran dead
- Veteran Tamil film director C.V. Rajendran, 81, died . He directed some 78 films. He was part of ace director C.V. Sridhar’s unit and directed many memorable movies
Rajeev Chandrasekhar resigns from Asianet’s board
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar has resigned as a director from the board of ARG Outlier Asianet News, the parent company of Republic TV, with effect from March 31, according to a statement issued by his office on April 2.
Over 4, 000 locals attend medical camp
- The Government Junior College grounds here teemed with people as a mega medical camp was organised by the district medical and health department in association with Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS).
Andhra Pradesh :
Ashok Leyland plans to make batteries for electric vehicles
- World’s fourth largest bus maker Ashok Leyland is planning to make batteries for electric vehicles. Currently, it is working on different technologies to make electric vehicles and transport more economic and efficient.
Tenders likely to be called for drinking water projects
- There seems to be a significant progress in the process related to the proposed ₹13,000 crore loan from Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), which is meant for road, water, and electricity projects in Andhra Pradesh.
CBSE postpones April 2 class X, XII exams in Punjab
- The State government made the postponement request in view of the ‘Bharat bandh’ called by Dalit outfits against the alleged dilution of the SC/STs Act.
Supreme Court will ensure Tamil Nadu’s share of Cauvery water, CJI assures State
- Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra on April 2 orally assured Tamil Nadu that the court will ensure that the State gets its due allocation of the Cauvery water.
Pakistan Army chief approves death penalty for 10 terrorists
- Pakistan Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa on April 2 approved death penalty for 10 terrorists, including those who shot dead Amjad Sabri, one of the country’s finest Sufi Qawwals
China’s Tiangong-1 space station burns up over South Pacific
- China’s Tiangong-1 space station re-entered the Earth’s atmosphere and burnt up over the middle of the South Pacific on April 2, the Chinese space authority said.
Nigeria to probe Cambridge Analytica ‘role’ in 2007, 2015 polls
- Nigeria’s government will launch an investigation into allegations of improper involvement by political consultancy Cambridge Analytica in the country’s 2007 and 2015 elections, a presidency spokesman said on April 2.
Nelson Mandela’s ex-wife Winnie Mandela dies at 81
- Winnie Mandela, the ex-wife of South African anti-apartheid fighter and former president Nelson Mandela, died April 2 at the age of 81, her spokesman said.
‘Xiaomi wants to bring ancillaries, 50 firms expected’
- “In a meeting with Electronics and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad last week, Xiaomi India Head Manu Jain shared the company’s plans to bring its ancillary products to India,” a senior IT Ministry official said.
E-way bill rollout successful
- The Centre on April 2 said the re-introduction of the e-way bill system under GST had been “very successful” with no technical glitches.
MS Dhoni Receives Padma Bhushan Award
- Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was presented with the Padma Bhushan, country’s third highest civilian award, by President Ram Nath Kovind on April 2 evening. Dhoni, who holds the rank of Honorary Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army, wore his uniform for the gala ceremony.
Indian team officially welcomed
- The Indian team was officially welcomed to the Games Village on April 2 evening.
- Though the country is fielding a big contingent of 219 athletes, including 104 women, there were only a few present at the short ceremony presided over by the Games Village mayors Sara Carrigan and Mark Stockwell, both reputed athletes of their time.
First gender-equal Games
- The XXI Commonwealth Games is all set to become the first multi-discipline sports event to offer an equal number of medals to men and women.
- Of the 275 sets of medals on offer, 133 each will be presented to men and women, while the remaining nine medals have been reserved for mixed events