Ethiopia’s PM receives Nobel Peace Prize:
- Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has received the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to achieve international peace and co-operation.
- This year’s Nobel Peace Prize was the 100th to be awarded. The Nobel Peace Prize consists of a diploma, a gold medal and a cheque for nine million Swedish kronor (850,000 euros).
- The Nobel Committee announced in October it was honouring Abiy Ahmed for his efforts to resolve the long-running conflict with neighbouring foe Eritrea.
US House Judiciary Committee unveils articles of impeachment against Prez Trump
- The US House Judiciary Committee has unveiled two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump today. The first article revealed by committee chief Jerry Nadler accuses Trump of abuse of power and the second accuses him of obstructing Congress
General election to be held in Britain tomorrow:
- In Britain, today is the final day of campaigning for tomorrow’s General election. A snap general election was called in a bid to break the Brexit deadlock that has gripped Britain ever since the 2016 referendum vote to leave the EU.
Nation remembers Tamil writer, poet Subramania Bharathi on his birth anniversary:
- The Nation is remembering Tamil writer and poet Subramania Bharathi on his birth anniversary today. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said ‘Mahakavi Bharathiar’ is a symbol of patriotism, social reform, poetic genius and indomitable spirit of freedom and fearlessness. He said his thoughts and works continue to motivate everyone.
- The Prime Minister also said that Subramania Bharathi believed in justice and equality above everything else. Mr Modi lauded his vision towards alleviating human suffering and furthering empowerment.
India reduces emission intensity of its GDP by 21%: Prakash Javadekar:
- Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar has said India has reduced emission intensity of its GDP (gross domestic product) by 21 per cent and is on track to achieve the goal of 35 per cent emission reduction as promised in Paris.
- Addressing 25th session of Conference of Parties (COP) under the UN framework convention of Climate Change, in Madrid, Spain, Mr Javadekar presented India’s stand and said India is keeping its promises on reducing the emissions.
Odisha to set up 45 new fast track courts:
- To expedite the trial of cases relating to women and children, 45 new fast track courts will be set up in Odisha. State Law Minister Pratap Jena said 21 courts would be dedicated for cases of rape and sexual harassment of women.
- The remaining 24 fast track courts will specifically deal with Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) cases. The State government’s action comes after Centre’s decision to formulate a scheme for setting up 1,023 fast track special courts for expeditious trial and disposal of rape cases.
West Bengal govt organizing two-day Business Conclave:
- The West Bengal government is organizing two-day Business Conclave at Digha in East Midnapore District to attract more industrial investments in the State.
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will inaugurate the Conclave in presence of captains of industries tomorrow.
Manipur: Daily helicopters service will start Imphal to Tamenglong:
- In Manipur, the State Transport Department will start Imphal to Tamenglong and vice versa daily helicopter service, except on Sunday, from 12th December.
- Tamenglong District is a hill district of Manipur and State Government had already started helicopter service on a periodic basis.
- However, in view of the upcoming festive season, Government has decided to begin the service on daily basis.
- In Manipur, the 15-hour long bandh called by All Manipur Students Union (AMSU) in protest against the Citizenship Amendment Bill, 2019 affected normal life today.
Bandh affects normal life in Meghalaya:
- In Meghalaya, the on-going 11- hour-long bandh called by North East Student’s Organisation (NESO) in protest against the Citizenship Amendment Bill, 2019 affected the normal life.
Parliament passes Arms (Amendment) Bill:
- The Parliament passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill 2019 with the Rajya Sabha approving it yesterday. The Bill seeks to amend the Arms Act, 1959. It intends to decrease the number of licensed arms allowed per person and increase the quantum of penalties for violations of the law. The Bill also increases the duration of the validity of arms license from three years to five years.
Maldives foreign minister Abdulla Shahid arrives in New Delhi to attend Joint Commission Meeting:
- Maldives foreign minister Abdulla Shahid arrived in New Delhi this morning on an official visit to attend the 6th India-Maldives Joint Commission Meeting (JCM). He is leading a delegation of various agencies dealing with the thematic areas at the JCM scheduled to be held on Dec13.
- The JCM was established under the agreement on Economic and Technical Cooperation signed between the two countries in 1986, with the primary aim of improving bilateral relations in all spheres.
- India has pledged a line of credit for 1.4 billion US dollars for development assistance in several fields including water supply, fisheries and economic investment. India is also helping build cricket team of Maldives and a cricket stadium is being planned at Hulhumale.
Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 to be tabled in Rajya Sabha today:
- The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 will be tabled in the Rajya Sabha today for consideration and passage. The bill was cleared by the Lok Sabha on Monday after a marathon discussion and division. In all, 311 members voted in favour of the bill and 80 members opposed it.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
ISRO to launch earth observation satellite, RISAT-2BR1 from Sriharikota this afternoon:
- The ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) will launch today its earth observation satellite, RISAT-2BR1 on PSLV-C48 from the First Launch Pad (FLP) of Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- The countdown for the launch began at 4.40 PM yesterday. ISRO said Launch is scheduled at 3.25 PM today, subject to weather conditions. RISAT-2BR1, a Radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing about 628 kg, will be placed into an orbit of 576 km at an inclination of 37 degrees. PSLV-C48, which is the 50th mission of PSLV, will also carry 9 customer satellites of Israel, Italy, Japan and USA as co-passengers. These international customer satellites are being launched under a commercial arrangement with NewSpace India Limited.
SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE
6th Indian Ocean Dialogue, Delhi Dialogue XI to be held from Dec 13-14:
- External Affairs Ministry will host the 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue and Delhi Dialogue XI at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi on 13th and 14th of this month.
- For the first time, these two tracks 1.5 dialogues will be held consecutively and on similar Indo-Pacific themes. The Indian Ocean Dialogue will take place on Friday and the theme is “Indo-Pacific: Re-imagining the Indian Ocean through an Expanded Geography”.
- Delhi Dialogue XI will start on Friday evening and will run through the next day. The theme for this year’s Delhi Dialogue is “Advancing Partnership in Indo-Pacific”.
13th South Asian Games concluded in Nepal:
- 13th South Asian Games concluded in Nepal last evening. Thousands of sports lovers witnessed gala closing ceremony held at historic Dasaratha Rangshala in Kathmandu.
- Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal, Ishwar Pokharel graced the occasion as Chief Guest. India finished on top with 312 medals comprising 174 gold, 93 silver and 45 bronze.
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju calls for rigorous campaign to bring awareness about doping:
- Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju has called for a rigorous campaign to bring awareness about doping. The Minister said that a sense of clean sports must be inculcated in the players from the very beginning. Mr. Rijiju was addressing a gathering after declaring actor Sunil Shetty as the Brand Ambassador of National Anti Doping Agency, NADA in New Delhi today.