Animal and Plant Discoveries 2019 report released by ZSI and BSI – 544 New species discovered. Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) which performs zoological research and studies to promote the survey and the Botanical Survey of India (BSI), the apex taxonomic research organization of the country jointly, released the Animal and Plant Discoveries 2019 Report. As per the report 364 new species of animals and 180 species of plants were discovered.
- Total number of plant species found in India: 50,012
- The plant species accounts for 12% of all plant species of the world
- New animal species discovered in past 10 years: 2444
- New plant species discovered in 10 years: 3500
Animal Discoveries 2019:
- Out of the 364 new animal species that have been discovered, four are fossil species. Another four subspecies have been discovered.
- The maximum numbers of species that have been discovered are of insects. The list also includes reptiles, fish and amphibians among others.
- The highest number of new species 68 have been recorded from Kerala followed by Arunachal Pradesh from where 66 new species have been recorded.
Plant Discoveries 2019:
- Plant Discoveries 2019 lists 180 new plant species and 73 new records discovered from the country.
- Among the 10 biogeographic zones in the country the maximum number 155 have been found in the Western Ghats
- Headquarters of Zoological Survey of India located at – Kolkata
- Who is the Director of Zoological Survey of India? – Dr. Kailash Chandra
- Recently, Zoological Survey of India listed how many species of amphibians as critically endangered? – 20
- Botanical Survey of India (BSI), comes under which ministry? – Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change
- Who is the Union Minister of Environment, Forest & Climate Change? – Prakash Javadekar
- What is the constituency of Prakash Javadekar? – Rajya Sabha(M.P)
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|