Velu Nachiyar – The first Queen to fight against the British
- Rani Velu Nachiyar was born on 3 January 1730.
- She was the queen of Sivaganga.
- She was the first queen to fight against the British colonial power in India.
- She is known by Tamils as Veeramangai (“brave woman”).
- Velu Nachiyar was the princess of Ramanathapuram and the only child of Raja Chellamuthu vijayaragunatha Sethupathy and Rani Sakandhimuthal of the Ramnad kingdom.
- She married the king of Siva Gangai.
- She was a scion of solar race or suryavamsam , kasyapa gotram like cholas.
- She is known to be a very beautiful lady like draupadi the queen of pandavas.
- Nachiyar was trained in war match weapons usage, martial arts like Valari, Silambam (fighting using stick), horse riding and archery.
- In 1780 Rani Velu Nachiyar fought the British.
- she led the charge against her enemies with an army she had built along with the help of Sultan Hyder Ali of Mysore.
- She is also credited to have been the first person to use a human bomb
- Velu Nachiyar ruled Sivagangai for more than 10 years
- On July 18, 2014, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa inaugurated the Veeramangai Velu Nachiyar Memorial in Sivagangai
- She died on February 25, 1796.