CJ recuses from hearing plea to issue community certificates to Brahmins
- The Chief Justice of Madras High Court Indira Banerjee onmarch 2 recused from hearing a public interest litigation petition that sought a direction to the State government to “include Brahmins as a community in the list of communities of the State” and issue ‘community certificates’ to them as it was being done with respect to other caste groups
Need to get back to 8-9% GDP growth rate: Rangarajan
- India is currently growing well below its potential and need to get back to the growth rate of 8-9%, which is key for job creation and social development, said C. Rangarajan, economist and former chairman to the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council.
ONGC oil wells in State are unlicensed, say activists
- T. Jayaraman, chief co-ordinator of the Anti-Methane Project Federation, said that “Any incident of their oil pipelines leaking or bursting had to always be reported by members of the public living nearby and never did the organisation recognise a lapse in maintenance of their oil wells and pipelines on their own,” .
‘Handloom societies hit by new rules
- Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to intervene and sort out the issues. In his letter, Mr. Palaniswami said the clauses restricting incentives only for maximum of three years and fixing the cap for turnover at ₹30 lakh went against the interests of the societies in Tamil Nadu.
UN spotlight on Kerala’s energy-positive campus
- the EMC’s energy-positive campus was designed to allow natural cross-flow ventilation from building forms and openings. The campus is equipped with a 30-kilowatt grid-connected solar capacity that exports around 50 kWh a day on an average, with a doubling of the capacity under implementation.
Wayanad to host Orchid Fest-2018
- Orchid Fest-2018, a three-day international orchid festival being organised jointly by the Department of Agriculture Development and Farmers’ Welfare, Kerala Agricultural University, and Orchid Society of India, will be held at the Regional Agricultural Research Station (RARS) of the university at Ambalavayal in Wayanad district on March 16, 17, and 18.
Learn history in 3D view with Google Earth Voyager
- It takes a special knack to bring history to life from boring textbooks with flat 2-dimensional photographs. In schools, teachers often rely on visual aids and videos to grab the attention of students. Some classes, though, are travelling back in time using Google Earth Voyager, which allows children to explore empires and monuments in 3D.
Pavagada solar park inaugurated
- Mr. Siddaramaiah said that 2,300 farmers of five villages of Pavagada taluk have leased out 13,000 acres of land at 21,000 per acre per annum with 5% increase once in two years. They have joined the government as partners, shareholders, stakeholders, and are also beneficiaries of the mega project.
Food for anganwadi children under DBT: Maneka Gandhi
- The Union government is planning to replace the system of providing food to children in anganwadis with direct benefit transfer, Union Minister for Women and Child Welfare Maneka Gandhi said in Belagavi .
Andhra Pradesh :
Phirangipuram to be State’s first all-women rail station
- Indian Railways are for empowerment of women. By handing over a railway station to women, we are showing the potential of women to function in diverse fields,” Divisional Railway Manager, Guntur, V.G Bhooma, told .
India to help build nuclear plant in Bangladesh
- India, Bangladesh and Russia have signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the construction of the Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.