17th October 2020 Current Affairs
Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi will deliver Key Note in Grand Challenges Annual Meeting 2020. The Annual Meeting is planned to be scheduled on 19 October 2020. The Meeting will be held virtually through Video Conferencing.
- The Grand Challenges Annual Meeting, for the last 15 years, has fostered international innovation collaborations to address the biggest challenges in health and development.
- Discussions will be held about the key priorities for accelerating progress across the Sustainable Development Goals in the post-pandemic world.
- The Grand Challenges Annual Meeting 2020 will be co-hosted by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, the Indian Council of Medical Research and NITI Aayog.
Central Government to borrow Rs 1.1 Lakh Crore to meet shortfall of GST Compensation
The Union Finance Ministry announced that the central government will borrow Rs 1.1 lakh crore under a special window to meet the shortfall in the Goods and Services Tax compensation.
- The borrowed amount will be passed on to the States as a back-to-back loan and it will be in lieu of GST Compensation Cess releases.
About Finance Ministry:
- Union Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Minister of State: Anurag Singh Thakur
Jacinda Ardern becames Prime Minister of New Zealand for second term
Jacinda Ardern won the New Zealand Prime Minister Election for Second Term. According to the Electoral Commission, Ardern’s Labour Party has won 49% of the votes out of the total votes counted.
- The general election in New Zealand was originally due to be held in September but was postponed after a second coronavirus outbreak.
About New Zealand:
- Prime minister: Jacinda Ardern
- Capital: Wellington
India and Kazakhstan Defence cooperation Expo webinar was held between both countries under the theme “Make in India for the World, India – Kazakhstan Defence Cooperation: Webinar and Expo”. The webinar was organized by the Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence through FICCI which is an association of business organisations in India.
- These webinars are being held in order to achieve defence export target of 5 billion dollars in the next five years.
- Discussions were held about need to leverage opportunities for co-development, co-production and to meet their requirements.
- Capital: Nur-Sultan
- Currency: Kazakhstani tenge
- President: Kassym-Jomart Tokayev
Jammu & Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha, announced My Town My Pride Programme for People in Urban Area
Manoj Sinha, Lieutenant Governor of Jammu & Kashmir announced the “My Town My Pride” Programme for delivering services governance at doorsteps to the people in urban areas.
- This programme will start from 19 October 2020 as a part of the public outreach initiative in the towns of Jammu and Kashmir.
Uttar Pradesh Government initiates Mission Shakti Programme for Women
Uttar Pradesh State Government launched women empowerment programme ‘Mission Shakti’ to raise awareness and fight crime against women in the state. This Programme was launched by Governor Anandiben Patel in Lucknow.
- This Six month campaign has two phases, Mission Shakti’ and ‘Operation Shakti. For this Programme Women nodal officers appointed by government in all the districts for the execution and monitoring of the campaign will try to create awareness about the help lines – 1090, 181, 1076, 108 and 102.
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Health Minister of Nagaland launched “TB Harega, Desh Jeetega” handbook
Nagaland Health & Family Welfare Minister launched a handbook named “TB Harega, Desh Jeetega”,as a part of government’s objective to end Tuberculosis by 2025 in the country.
- The main obective of this handbook, is to proactively engage more elected representatives such as MLAs, members of Zila Parishad, VDB members and Gram Panchayat or Gram Sabha to help address social stigma as well as to promote advocacy and community involvement in TB programme.
- Capital: Kohima
- Governor: RN Ravi
- Chief minister: Neiphiu Rio
Union Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari laid foundation stones for 16 Highway projects in Andhra Pradesh
Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and Micro Small Medium Enterprises laid foundation stone for 16 National Highway projects with a total length of 1411 kms worth Rs 15,592 crore in Andhra Pradesh.
- In Andhra Pradesh 5000 Km of National Highways are being developed as a part of Bharatmala Pariyojana and 400 Km of Port Connectivity Roads will also be developed under Bharatmala Pariyojana.
About Andhra Pradesh:
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Summits & Conference
India hosted the Seventh Meeting of Ministers of Justice of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) which is a permanent intergovernmental international organization. India was represented by Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. This meeting was held through online mode.
- The virtual meeting was attended by justice ministers from China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, according to a statement by the Ministry Of Law and Justice.
- The minister highlighted Pro Bono Legal Services to provide free legal aid to marginalized sections of the society.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Founded: 15 June 2001
102nd World Bank Development Committee Plenary Meeting held virtually. Due to COVID19 pandemic the meeting was conducted through video conferencing. Indian Side was represented by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The World Bank shareholders in 2018 approved a dollar 13 billion capital increase that mandated the bank wind down lending to wealthier middle-income countries
- World Bank Group has committed 45 billion dollar for COVID-19 response.
- FM Mrs, Sitharaman shared that the Government has announced the first stimulus of 23 billion dollar to provide direct cash transfers and food security measures to the poor.
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
Rankings & Report
The Global Hunger Index 2020 was released. According to the report, India ranked 94th out of 107countries. The report put India under serious category with the score of 27.2. India’s rank was 102 out of 117 countries last year. Neighboring countries such as Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan secured 73rd, 75th and 88th rank respectively.
- The Report was jointly prepared by Welhunger life and Concern Worldwide.
- According to the report, 14 per cent of India’s population is undernourished.
- The report states that the country recorded a child stunting rate of 37.4 per cent
- In 2018, India ranked 103 among 119 countries on the global hunger index. India ranked 102 in global Hunger Index.
The World Health Organization (WHO) which is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health released the Global Tuberculosis Report, 2020. According the report this coronavirus situation could push Tuberculosis related deaths in the world to eight years back. The UN had set a goal to reduce incidence of TB by 20% and 35% reduction in deaths due to TB by 2020.
- India, China and Russia have the largest number drug-resistant TB Cases
- As per the WHO Global Tuberculosis Report, the number of TB deaths could be between 200,000 and 400,000.
- India, Indonesia, China, Philippines, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh and Russia are home to two-thirds of global TB cases.
- Between 2015 and 2019, there were 9% reduction of TB incidence and 14% reduction in TB deaths.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Parent organization: United Nations Economic and Social Council
The Lancet medical journal which is the world’s oldest and best-known general medical journals has published a new study in which it said that India has gained over a decade of life expectancy since 1990. According to the study, life expectancy in India has increased from 59.6 years in 1990 to 70.8 years in 2019.
- According to the survey, Life expectancy in India has increased from 59.6 years in 1990 to 70.8 years in 2019.
- In Kerala, life expectancy increased to 77.3 years while on the in Uttar Pradesh it was reported as 66.9 years.
- As per the study, child and maternal malnutrition is still the main risk factor for illness and death in India.
Vishal V.Sharma becomes Next Permanent Representative of India to UNESCO’s Permanent Delegation of India
Vishal V.Sharma becomes the next permanent representative of India to UNESCO’s Permanent Delegation of India, with the rank of Ambassador. He succeeded Jwed Ashraf, Who belongs to 1991 batch IFS Officer.
- Earlier in 2017 Vishal V.Sharma was appointed as the independent director of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- He also written a book titled “A Say in the Life of Kathmandu”.
Election Commission of India appointed M K Das as Special Police Observer for Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Bye-Elections
Election Commission of India (ECI) is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India at national and state has appointed M K Das as Special Police Observer for Bye-Elections to Legislative Assembly of Madhya Pradesh.
- He will observe the conduct of bye-elections and poll preparedness, especially with regard to security related issues.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
IWF appointed Dr Micheal Irani as its Interim President
Dr. Micheal Irani has been appointed as Interim President of the International Weightlifting Federation which is the international governing body for the sport of Olympic weightlifting.
- He was appointed following the resignation of IWF President Tamas Ajan. Additional Ursula Papandrea was also appointed as the Acting President after the resignation of Tamas Ajan.
- President: Micheal Irani
- Headquarters: Budapest, Hungary
Books & Authors
Shashi Tharoor written a New Book titled “The Battle of Belonging”
Indian Politician and International diplomat Shashi Tharoor written a book named The Battle of Belonging. The Book will be released in November 2020. The book is published by Aleph Book Company.
- Shashi Tharoor Served as the Under Secretary-General of the United Nations from 2002 to 2007. His other books are From Midnight to the Millennium (1997), The Five Dollar Smile and Other Stories (1993).
Pakistan Cricketer Umar Gul announces retirement
Pakistan Cricketer Umar Gul announced retirement from all form of Cricket. He played his last match for Pakistan in 2016.
- From 47 Test matches, he took 163 wickets at an average of 34.06 and from 130 ODIs he took 179 wickets and 85 wickets from 60 T20s.
Union Sports Ministry has modernized centres from a total of nine States and Union Territories (UTs) to the Khelo India State Centre of Excellence (KISCE) under the Khelo India scheme which is a national yojana/scheme for the development of sports in India.
- The overall number now stands at 24 KISCEs from 23 States / UTs.
The States and UTs include:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir.
Every year International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17. This day is proclaimed by United Nations. The objective of this day is to raise awareness of the need to eradicate poverty and destitution around the world, particularly in developing countries.
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2020 Theme is Acting together to achieve social and environmental justice for all.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945,
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
The Institution Innovation Council which is an Initiative of the Ministry of Education for selected Higher Education Institutes has planned to conduct the Intellectual Property Literacy Week is observed from October 15 to 23. The council is also presented IIC 2.0 annual report and the launch of IIC 3.0 was also launched.
- This ‘KAPILA’ Kalam Program was launched by Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
- Till now, IICs have been established in about 1700 higher educational institutions.
- The IICs will be established in 5000 higher educational institutions under IIC 3.0.
About Ministry of Education:
- Union Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State: Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao
Gujarati singer Kaumudi Munshi Passes away
Popular Gujarati singer Kaumudi Munshi, passed away due to COVID-19. She is also known as Nightingale of Gujarat. Munshi sang mostly in Gujarati, gaining fame with songs like ‘Sachi re maari satre bhavani maa’, and ‘koi aghe aghe thi vai che’.
- The singer also sang Bhojpuri songs, for the 1963 movie Bidesiya she sang ‘Neek Saiyan bin’ with renowned singer Geeta Dutt.
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|