15th October 2020 Current Affairs
Union Cabinet approved the World Bank-supported Strengthening Teaching- Learning and Results for States (STARS) project under The National Educational Policy (NEP) is a policy formulated by the Government of India to promote education amongst India’s people. There 6 States of India will be covered under STARS Project.
- The Cabinet has also approved a special package worth Rs. 520 crore under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh and has also demerged Nagarnar Steel Plant from National Minerals Development Corporation Ltd.
- The STARS Project would be covering around 52% of children from government schools belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and other minority communities.
- The project would be helping students to prepare for future job by tackling the learning outcome challenges.
The Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) has launched the Jan Andolan campaign against COVID-19. Earlier Jan Andolan Campaign for COVID-Appropriate Behaviour was launched PM Narendra Modi. The three key messages that are being underlined across the sector are – “Wear Mask, Follow Physical Distancing, and Maintain Hand Hygiene.
- The network of about 750 AYUSH Medical Colleges with their communities of students and teachers will also play an important role in this effort.
- About 150 hospitals and research councils directly linked to the Ministry of AYUSH will serve as hubs for communication and other related preventive activities.
Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched second phase of CIL felicitated Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojana
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the second phase of CIL felicitated Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojana. The scheme has been launched for the underprivileged Thalassemic patients.
- The programme is launched with an objective to provide a one-time cure opportunity for Haemoglobinopathies like Thalassaemia and Sickle Cell Disease for patients who have a matched family donor.
- This Yojana was launched in 2017, this scheme is a Coal India CSR funded Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) program.
- The CSR initiative was targeted to provide financial assistance to a total of 200 patients by providing a package cost not exceeding Rs. 10 lakhs per HSCT.
CBSE sets a new Guinness World Record, deliver online AI lesson to 13000 students in 24 hours
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a national level board of education in India for public and private schools, controlled and managed by Union Government of India sets a new Guinness World Record for most users taking an online artificial intelligence, AI lesson to 13,000 students from class 8 and above between October 13-14 in 24 hours.
- The training was part of the ongoing AI for Youth Virtual Symposium organized by Intel and CBSE.
- Parent organization: Ministry of Education
- Chairperson: Manoj Ahuja, IAS
FM Nirmala Sitharaman attends the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting Virtually
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attented in the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Saudi Arabian Presidency virtually through video conferencing.
- The meeting was conducted to discuss the current global economic outlook and G20’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, along with other G20 Finance Track priorities for the year 2020.
About Finance Ministry:
- Union Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Constituency: Rajya Sabha (Karnataka)
Nitin Gadkari launches First blasting process for Zojila tunnel construction work between Srinagar and Leh
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari initiated the First blasting process for Zojila tunnel construction work between Srinagar and Leh.
- The Tunnel, which will be built at an altitude of about 3000 metre under Zojila pass on NH-1 connecting Srinagar and Leh through Dras and Kargil.
- This tunnel Project would enhance the safety of the travellers crossing Zojila Pass and would reduce the travel time from more than 3 hours to 15 minutes
India has been re-elected as the President of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) and France as the Co- President for tenure of two years. The decision was taken on the third assembly meeting which is held virtually through online mode. The event was attended by 34 ISA Members ministers.
The vice presidency of ISA are as follows
- Fiji & Nauru for Asia Pacific Region
- Mauritius & Niger for Africa Region
- UK & Netherlands for Europe and others Region
- Cuba and Guyana for Latin America and Caribbean Region
Russia Approves Second COVID-19 Vaccine EpiVacCorona after Sputnik V
Russia has approved the second Covid-19 vaccine called the ‘EpiVacCorona’. This second Russian vaccine has been developed by the Vector State Research Centre of Virology and Biotechnology. The vaccine was tested on100 volunteers in early-stage.
- Russia’s first vaccine, Sputnik V, was developed by the Moscow-based Gamaleya Institute and approved by the government on Aug. 11.
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Currency: Russian ruble
India donates 1 million dollars to UNRWA for Palestine Refugees
India has donated one million dollars to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees in Near East. The UNWRA is a UN agency that supports the relief and human development of Palestinian refugees.
- This will support the Agency’s programmes and services, including education, health care, relief and social services.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches campaign ‘Red light on, Gaadi off’ to tackle air pollution
Chief Minister of Delhi, Shri Arvind Kejriwal launched ‘Red light on, Gaadi off’ campaign to fight air pollution.
- The ‘Red Light On Gaadi Off’ campaign will aim to bring a behavioural change in that regard. It will help reduce air pollution. This campaign will be another step towards reducing pollution.
IRFU signed MoU with Odisha to sponsor Indian National Rugby Team for 3 years
Indian Rugby Football Union (IRFU) which is the governing body for rugby union in India signed MoU with Odisha State Government to sponsor the Indian National Rugby Team for tenure of three years (till 2023).
- The Agreement was signed by R Vineel Krishna, Director of Sports & Youth Services Department, Odisha and Maneck Unwala, President of IRFU.
Odisha became the First State to supply Tap Water Fit for Drinking in Urban Areas by launching ‘Sujal’ Mission
The Odisha state government launched the ‘Sujal-Drink from Tap Mission’ to supply quality drinking water in Urban Areas of the state.
- Under this mission 1300 crore will be spent by the state government to provide tap quality water to over 15 lakh people in 15 towns in a phased manner.
- The State Government has set a target that all households in the urban areas of the state will have piped water facilities by March 2022.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Rankings & Reports
Arton Capital released the World’s Most Powerful Passport Index for the year 2020. According to the Index, The US passport ranked 21 and India, 58. The passport index lists the power of passports in terms of real-time, visa restrictions, factoring in legislative changes, and entry requirements.
|Japan, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Ireland, South Korea and Australia||02|
|Sweden, Belgium, France, Finland, Italy, Spain||03|
About New Zealand:
- Capital – Wellington
- Currency – New Zealand Dollar
United Nations World Meteorological Organization (UN WMO) which is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for boosting international cooperation on atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology and geophysics released the State of Climate Services Report 2020.
- The Report was released on International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction on October 13, 2020.
- This report predicted that, by 2030 the number of people taking international humanitarian system could increase by 50% at a cost of around US$ 20 billion a year.
- As per the report, One in three people are not sufficiently covered by early warning systems.
- Headquarters location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 23 March 1950
- Secretary General: Petteri Taalas
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) which is an international organization, consisting of 189 countries working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability released the World Economic Outlook 2020. According to that report Bangladesh set to overtake India in per capita GDP in 2020.
- India would be the third poorest nation in South Asia as per the report along with Pakistan and Nepal. Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives and Sri Lanka have been placed above India.
- As per the IMF Report in 2020, consumer prices in India will grow at 4.9 % while 3.7% in 2021.
- The current account balance of India has been projected to grow by 0.3 % in 2020 and will be up to 0.9 % in 2021.
The Government of India (GoI) released the Intellectual Property India annual report 2020 and the annual rankings the year 2018-19 was also decided by Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks, which is also known as the Indian Patent Office, is an agency under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade which administers the Indian law of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks.
- According to Intellectual Property India annual report in the overall patents filing category, 27 Indian Institute of Technology (IIT’s) have filed 557 patents collectively.
- Chandigarh University Gharuan top the list among all university in India. It topped for filing the highest number of patents in a year counting 336.
- Chandigarh University Gharuan is followed by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) with 239 patent applications.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) stands at fourth position with 173 patent applications.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) secured the third position with 202 applications.
NPCI partnered with EarlySalary launched ‘Salary Card’, a Zero-Touch card Powered by Rupay
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) partnered with EarlySalary launched Salary Card which is a Zero Touch Digital Card. This Salary card contains unique feature which enables the customers to set up a high credit limit to suit their shopping, medical, travel, entertainment and other needs.
- This Salary Card Credit Solution is powered by Rupay.
- CEO & Co-Founder – Akshay Mehotra
- Headquarters – Pune, Maharashtra
- MD – Dilip Asbe
- Head Office – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Summits & Conference
ASEAN India Track 1.5 Second Edition Dialogue held
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) India Track 1.5 Dialogue held virtually through online mode. The summit was conducted by the Observer Research Foundation (ORF) in collaboration with the External Affairs Ministry (EAM).
- Discussions were held on cooperation safety in the virtual and cyber area during coronavirus situation.
- Chiar – Vietnam
- Headquarters- Jakarta, Indonesia
Science & Technology
Tamil Nadu Students developed Nano Satellite, ‘India Sat’, NASA to launch into Sub-orbit
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) which is an independent agency of the U.S. Federal Government responsible for the civilian space program will launch Nano Satellite ‘India Sat’ into Sub-orbit that is made by three Tamil Nadu Students.
- The Three Tamil Nadu Students are M. Adnaan, M.Keasavan and V.Arun. They designed this satellite as part of the global competition held by the cubes in space, which is a programme of Idoodledu Inc in association with NASA.
- Headquarters – Washington, USA
World Athletics appointed Olympic Champion as its Brand Ambassador
World Athletics, which is the international governing body for the sport of athletics appointed Constantina Dita as the brand ambassador for the World Athletics Half Marathon Championships 2020. The Championship is scheduled to be held on 17 October 2020 at Gdynia, Poland.
- Constantina Dita is Romanian long-distance runner and the Champion of 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Noted Kannada Music Composer Rajan Passes away
Kannada Music Composer Rajan of Rajan-Nagendra duo passed away. They had a successful career as music directors from early-1950s to the late 1990s. The duo started their music career with Chanchala Kumari (1952).
- In a four-decade long career, the duo worked in about 200 movies in Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam languages.
Every year International Day of Rural Women is observed on 15 October. International Day of Rural Women is proclaimed by United Nations. The day is celebrated to recognize the important role of women and girls in ensuring the sustainability of rural households and communities, improving rural livelihoods and overall well-being.
- International Day of Rural Women 2020 theme is “Rural women and girls building resilience”
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
World Students’ Day is celebrated every year on October 15 to mark the birth anniversary of Former President of India A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, who is also known as Missile Man of India. He served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007.
- The theme of World Students’ Day 2020 is ‘Learning for people, planet, prosperity, and peace’.
- The United Nations declared October 15 as World Students’ Day in 2010. 2020 marks 89th birth anniversary of the former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|