11th & 12th October 2020 Current Affairs
Central Government announces LTC Cash Voucher Scheme and Special Festival Advance Scheme for Govt employees
Nirmala Sitharaman who serves as the Union Minister for Finance announced LTC Cash Voucher Scheme and Special Festival Advance Scheme public servants with an objective to raise consumer spending.
LTC Cash Voucher Scheme:
- Using this Leave travel concession (LTC) Cash Voucher Scheme, government employees can opt for receiving cash amounting to leave encashment + 3 times ticket fare, to buy something of their choice.
- The items bought should be have Minimum GST of 12%.
- Only digital transactions are allowed, GST Invoice to be produced.
Special Festival Advance Scheme:
- This Special Festival Advance Scheme is announced for non-gazetted government employees.
- Under this scheme All central govt. employees able to get interest-free advance of Rs. 10,000, in the form of a prepaid RuPay Card.
- The one-time disbursement of Special Festival Advance Scheme is likely to amount to Rs. 4,000 crore.
Dr Jitendra Singh, Union minister of state for personnel, public grievances & pensions announced that, interview for central government jobs has been eliminated in Twenty three states and eight Union territories(UTs) of India.
- It is a follow-up to the abolition of interview for Group-B (nongazetted) and Group-C posts in the central government ever since 2016.
- Process of holding interview stands discontinued in all the eight Union Territories of India including Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh, and 23 out of 28 states of the country.
About Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions:
- Minister of State: Dr. Jitendra Singh
Eight Indian beaches obtain coveted Blue Flag certification
As per the environment ministry statement, Eight beaches in India have been awarded the prestigious Blue Flag certification.
- The Blue Flag certification is a globally recognised eco-label accorded by “Foundation for Environment Education, Denmark” based on 33 stringent criteria.
- The beaches which have been awarded the certification are Shivrajpur in Gujarat, Ghoghla in Diu, Kasarkod and Padubidri in Karnataka, Kappad in Kerala, Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh, Golden in Odisha and Radhanagar in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, it said.
- India has also been awarded the third prize by the jury under the “International Best Practices” for pollution control in coastal regions
Health Ministry to conduct Feluda paper strip COVID-19 test
Dr. Harsh Vardhan Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare announced that FELUDA paper-strip test for SARS-CoV-2 diagnosis will be begun in next few weeks. The paper-strip test is developed by CSIR-IGIB.
- The FNCAS9 Editor-Limited Uniform Detection Assay (FELUDA) test is a paper strip test, similar to a pregnancy test, and has been approved by the Drug Controller General of India.
- This test can distinguish between SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV sequences which differ by a single nucleotide.
Tech for Tribals Initiative to be initiated by Trifed, Chhattisgarh MFP Federation and IIT, Kanpur
Trifed which is a national level cooperative body under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs has partnered with Chhattisgarh MFP Federation and IIT, Kanpur will be launching Tech for Tribals initiative.
- The main aim of this initiative is to provide advance level training to the Vandhan tribal beneficiaries. The training module developed by IIT, Kanpur.
Union Defence Minister inaugurates 44 Bridges in seven States and Union Territories
Union Defence Minister, Raj Nath Singh inaugurated 44 Bridges in seven States and Union Territories. The 44 Bridges are developed by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) which develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- These bridges are of strategic importance and provide connectivity to remote areas. He also laid foundation stone for Nechiphu Tunnel in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Director General: Lt. Gen.Harpal Singh
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Prime Minister Modi unveils Special 100 rupees Coin to Honour Vijaya Raje Scindia
Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi unveils in the honour of Vijaya Raje Scindia. The coin is being released in celebration of birth centenary of Vijaya Raje Scindia.
- This special commemorative coin was minted by the Finance Ministry as a part of these celebrations.
- He is one of the founder of The Bharatiya Janata Party.He is also known as is the Rajmata of Gwalior
16 Year Old Teenager Aava Murto appointed as Finland’s Prime Minister Post for 1 day
16 year old Aava Murto appointed as Prime Minister of Finland for one day on 07 October 2020 as a part of United Nations International Day of Girl Child.
- It aims to raise awareness about online harassment against girls and encourages them to use digital skills and work in the technology sector.
- Capital: Helsinki
- Currency: Euro
Goa State Government tied up with India Post to register 11,000 Farmers in PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme
Deputy CM and Agriculture Minister of Goa, Chandrakant Kavlekar announced that the state government has tied up with India Posts enroll 11,000 farmers in the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme in the press meet organized at Krishi Bhavan with Postmaster General Vinod Kumar.
- Under this initiative, the postman will be utilized to benefit farmers. This is India’s First Such initiative and a Unique drive.
First Ever Tree Transplantation Policy launched in Delhi Government
Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal has passed country’s First Ever Tree Transplantation Policy to protect trees for Clean Delhi.
- Under this policy 80 per cent of trees uprooted for any construction/development project, must be transplanted elsewhere.
- The Cost of transplanting a tree is approximately between 50000 and 1 lakh rupees.
About Delhi Government:
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has announced the Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences to Paul R. Milgrom and Robert B. Wilson.
- The Nobel Prize in Economics is given for improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats.
- Their theoretical discoveries have improved auctions in practice.
- They have also used their insights to design new auction formats for goods and services that are difficult to sell in a traditional way, such as radio frequencies.
Rankings & Reports
The United Nations which is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security among countries released a report on stillbirths named “A Neglected Tragedy: The Global Burden of Stillbirths”. The report was created by UNICEF, World Health Organisation, World Bank and the United Nations department of economic and social affairs.
- The report says that a stillborn baby is delivered every 16 seconds.
- 84%of these still birth situations occur in low and lower-middle-income countries.
- The report indicates that, there were around 1.9 million still births globally. Of this 0.34 million were from India.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945,
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
Oxfam released the Health Spending Index for the year of 2020. The survey data indicates India has spent less than 4% of its budget on health and ranked 155th on the health spending index. Also the report founded that, only 26 of the 158 countries surveyed were spending the recommended 15% of their budgets on health.
- The document states that, best 26 of the 158 international locations surveyed have been spending the really helpful 15% in their budgets on well being.
- The survey knowledge display India spent not up to 4% of its funds on well being and ranked 155th at the well being spending index.
Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) which performs zoological research and studies to promote the survey and the Botanical Survey of India (BSI), the apex taxonomic research organization of the country jointly, released the Animal and Plant Discoveries 2019 Report. As per the report 364 new species of animals and 180 species of plants were discovered.
- Total number of plant species found in India: 50,012
- The plant species accounts for 12% of all plant species of the world
- New animal species discovered in past 10 years: 2444
- New plant species discovered in 10 years: 3500
India will be the third largest economy by 2050; Overtakes China
According to the Lancet Report, India is expected to be the third largest economy by 2050 and it overtakes China. India will retain the same position in 2100.
- The report additionally indicates that, India will become the fourth largest economy behind the US, China, Japan by 2030 and subsequently will overtake Japan in 2050.
- India is currently the fifth largest economy in the world, closely followed by France and UK.
BRICS Ministerial Summit 2020 Conducted in Online Mode through Video Conferencing. Minister of State (I/C) for Labour & Employment, Shri Santosh Gangwar represented India in this meeting. This BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Virtual Meeting was held under Russian Presidency.
- The Objective of this BRICS Summit is to discuss various issues including approaches to creating a safe work culture in BRICS countries.
- South Africa.
MoUs & Agreements
DST & IBM Partnered to boost STEM Career opportunities for Students
The Department of Science & Technology (DST) partnered with IBM India for promoting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) learning among students and to inspire them towards STEM careers.
- The both organizations aim to create a robust STEM ecosystem that nurtures critical thinkers, problem-solvers, and next-generation innovators.
About Ministry of Science & Technology:
- Union Minister: Harsh Vardhan
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Karnataka Medical Education Minister, K Sudhakar be given additional charge of Health and Family Welfare Department
Dr. K Sudhakar, Who is a Karnataka Medical Education Minister gets additional charge of Health and Family Welfare Department. Earlier B Sriramulu served as a minister for Health and Family Welfare Department.
- The Deputy Chief Minister Govinda Karjol who held the Social Welfare department earlier, has now been given the Public Works department.
French Open 2020 was conducted at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France. Initially, it was scheduled from 24 May to 7 June, but later, because of the COVID-19 situation, it was postponed to 27 September to 11 October. Spain Tennis Player Rafael Nadal won the men’s 2020 French Open Title. This is his 13th French Open men’s singles title and 20th Grand Slam title.
- In women’s single Iga Swiatek (Poland) beat Sofia Kenin (US) to win French Open Women’s Single Title.
French Open 2020 Winners List:
Rafael Nadal (Spain) beat Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
|Iga Swiatek (Poland) defeated Sofia Kenin (US)|
Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies of Germany
Tímea Babos (Hungary)/ Kristina Mladenovic (France)
Eifel Grand Prix 2020 won by Lewis Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, 2020 Which is held at the Nurburgring in Nurburg, Germany. The Second Position was secured by Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands).
- Max Verstappen is followed by Daniel Ricciardo (Renault, Australia).
- This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
- The race was the eleventh race in 2020 Formula One World Championship and the first running in history of the Eifel Grand Prix.
Junior Speed Chess Championship won by Indian Chess Player Nihal Sarin
Indian teenager won the Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, by defeating Russia’s Alexey Sarana in the final.
- The title win earned the 16-year old Sarin $8,766 and enabled him to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players.
- The Junior Speed Chess Championship 2019 was won by Hikaru Nakamura.
Ex Indian football captain Carlton Chapman dies
Carlton Chapman who is a Former Indian football captain due to cardiac arrest. He was Trained in Tata Football Academy, Chapman joined East Bengal in 1993.
- He won 14 titles, including the first edition of National Football League along with I M Vijayan and Bhaichung Bhutia.
- In 2017, he was appointed as the technical director of Quartz FC in Kochi.
Every year International Day of the Girl Child is celebrated on October 11. This day was first celebrated on 2012. This day is proclaimed by United Nations. This day aims to raise awareness about problems which are faced by girl children.
- The theme of International Day of the Girl 2020 is “My voice, our equal future”
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary General: António Guterres
World Arthritis Day is observed on 12 October. The objective of this day is to give awareness about arthritis, which is an inflammatory condition that causes pain and stiffness in joints which can worsen with age. This day is proclaimed by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI).
- The aim of this day is to ensure all people with RMDs and their caregivers are aware of the vast support network available to them.
- The World Arthritis Day theme 2020 is Time2Work.
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|